Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) This week’s potato pancakes were a huge success now that I’ve figured out my secret ingredient (which clearly isn’t such a secret seeing as I shared the recipe on Monday!
I’d planned to have a little leftover mashed potato from the dinner I was planning but ended up with more than I expected Miss Frugal was asked to work at the last minute and already had plans to go out later in the day. She ended up going into work and then straight out after that so didn’t manage to fit dinner in so I made these with the extra mash. I also used some cheese from the freezer that I’d bought reduced and popped in the freezer after grating it.
2) At the minute, food and drink is still free throughout the day where I work (which is amazing for my finances but not so amazing for my waistline) but over the last few weeks I’ve started to crave more normal-ness in all aspects of my life – food being one of them.
The food is amazing and being able to walk into the canteen and choose from things like bacon sandwiches, croissants and my personal favourite – cheesy hash brown wraps for breakfast has been fantastic. But I really do want to get back into Slimming World now that the groups are starting up again so I’ve started to get back into more healthy food – for breakfast at least.
The problem is that I’m not particularly motivated to prep anything or to spend very much money at all on breakfast when I know what’s on offer at work so I need something super quick, easy and cheap – which is where Overnight Oats work so well for me!
This one is just a simple version of the recipe which I made using a toffee Mullerlight Yoghurt, 40g Oats and some strawberries that we had in the fridge and it was so tasty and filling.
Also, quite a few people DM’d me earlier in the week when I shared the photo of my little breakfast jar on Instagram to ask where I got it from so if you’re interested, it’s from M&S but you can also get it on Amazon here. (affiliate link)
I’m not quite ready to go to the effort of making lunches though so I’ll stick with the work ones for now.
3) I’m still teaching Miss Frugal to drive with three or four hour-long lessons every week when I get in from work on a night. At £25 a lesson, we’re definitely saving a fortune but we are starting her actual lessons up again next week as I’m not great at instructing her to do manoeuvres.
She’s definitely going to need fewer lessons because of all the practice we’re putting in and her confidence is going to be so much higher than a lot of new drivers because of all the hours we’ve put in.
4) To use up some bananas last Sunday I made a cheeky banoffi pie with the most random biscuit base ever. I basically used whatever was in our biscuit tin so there was a random selection of digestives, biscoffs, chocolate bourbons and even a couple of chocolate chip cookies.
They made an amazing biscuity base!
5) And finally, I’m still doing overtime at work. 😇 I feel like I’ve covered this one week after week over the last three months but it’s genuinely the one thing that’s having the biggest impact on my finances right now
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve almost hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.