Five frugal things I’ve done this week:
1. Miss Frugal has a bit of a weakness for Lush bath bombs, which are far from frugal at £3+ per bomb. She often asks for them for Birthday’s and Christmas and regularly spends her pocket money on a treat for herself. She bought herself one a couple of weeks ago and she’s been saving it for just the right time which was apparently Wednesday night.
I knew she was using it in her bath as I could smell it from downstairs but what I didn’t know was that she had decided to cut the bath bomb in half with a knife so she could have two baths with it instead of just the one!
2. Master Frugal brought a letter home from school about next year’s school residential this week which I thought was ridiculous as they don’t go on this year’s until next month! Then I saw the cost of it and realised why they were giving more notice than usual – £190!!! For two nights at an outward bound centre! Excuse the over use of exclamation marks here by the way.
The problem that I have is that I know it’s an amazing experience as Miss Frugal did it in Year 5 (it was a good £50 cheaper then though) and he is desperate to go. I always said that being frugal wouldn’t mean that the kids would ever have to miss out on something and in fact, being frugal is what means we can afford these things so off he went to school on Tuesday with the £20 deposit and (don’t worry, here comes the frugal-ish bit) I’ve set up a standing order from our bank account to a savings account so a little bit is paid off each month rather than having to find a big chunk of money all at once.
3. My car was filthy and was in desperate need of a wash so I bribed the kids to wash it for me by telling them they could have a water fight when they were done. Forty five minutes later, I had one sparkling car and two wet but happy children.
4. Now that the sun is shining (or it was a little while ago, it’s looking a bit grey again now) the kids have been asking for ice lollies but rather than buying them from the shop, we’ve made our own. Some we’ve made with just plain lemonade, some are made with fruit juice and fruit blended together in the smoothie maker and some are made out of strawberry flavour Angel Delight….
5. This is another one I can’t take the credit for. 😉 When I said no to Miss Frugal’s request to have some candles in her bedroom she made herself an alternative using some battery powered fairy lights from the pound shop and some glass jars she ‘borrowed’ from the kitchen.
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.