Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) Miss Frugal has a job! We sat together and updated her CV which she then dropped off at a couple of places that we knew were hiring and they called her yesterday afternoon for a quick phone interview and then let her know that she could go along on Saturday afternoon for her induction. It’s not a permanent job and it’s just for a small number of hours each week but it’s for a supermarket where she’ll be putting together (we think) the home delivery orders.
Obviously, demand is high for home deliveries at the moment so they’re recruiting temps to help out and I’m so pleased for her.
2) I’ve been doing as much overtime I can fit in this last week. I absolutely know how lucky I am to have that option so I’m doing as much as I can – there’s not much else I could be doing really so I might as well do it while I can. I’ve been sensible with the extra money I’ve earned so far during lockdown. Kind of.
3) When I say I’ve been kind of sensible, I mean 99% sensible other than the car I’m buying Miss Frugal. ☺️
I got a quote to add her to my car insurance and this was the additional premium I was quoted…
Almost £3000 to get her added on whereas I realised, after some research and messing about on MoneySuperMarket and Compare the Market, that if I bought her a smaller, older car in her name and got her her own insurance then I could get the car AND the insurance for much less. How mad is that? We found a gorgeous little mini last weekend that we went back to see a couple of times and we decided to buy it this week. We managed to negotiate a good little deal but right at the last minute, for some reason she just started to look a bit uncertain so we didn’t end up buying it. We’ll be shopping again this weekend for a cheap little runabout that will be paid for in full by my overtime as will the insurance policy.
4) When I popped to the shop last Sunday afternoon for my weekly shop, they had loads of tomatoes in the reduced fruit and veg section so I bought them and made some of my favourite homemade tomato soup for tea.
I’ll be honest, it wasn’t as tasty as it usually was as I don’t think the tomatoes were the nicest ones and it wasn’t as tomato-tasting if you know what I mean but it was still lovely and very warming on a grey afternoon.
^^This photo is from the last time I made it – it wasn’t as red this time for some weird reason^^
5) We had good clear out last weekend and Miss Frugal and I washed our make-up brushes using some of our own homemade brush cleaner.
Between us, we have quite a few brushes although most are hers to be fair as she went through a phase of buying them. I don’t have too many but the ones I do have were donated to me by Miss Frugal so when she decides to have a brush cleaning session, I’m always going to get my smaller collection out and get her to do mine too! Our homemade version is so much cheaper than the brush cleaning liquid you can buy in the shops.
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 30,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.