When I was rooting around in my fridge yesterday morning looking for some sort of lunch inspiration, I found a couple of courgettes that were looking way past their best. I also found a few tired looking carrots so I thought I’d try making some carrot and courgette muffins as a way of using them up rather than putting them in the bin.
Carrot and Courgette Muffins
- 1 courgette
- 1 small carrot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk.
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 150 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 50 g brown sugar
- A handful of seedless raisins
- Preheat the oven to 200 c
- Grate the carrot and courgette - you need to have around the same amount of each so you'll probably only need half the courgette. Give it a dab with kitchen roll to get rid of some of the moisture.
- Add the eggs, melted, raisins and milk to the grated vegetables and mix it together.
- In another bowl, mix the sugar, flour and baking powder together.
- Add the flour mix to the veggie mix and give it a good mix together.
- Spoon the finished muffin mix into muffin cases and add a sprinkle of brown sugar to the top of each one.
- Bake for 18 - 22 minutes.
I usually freeze these types of fruit/veg muffins for up to a month which makes them perfect for packed lunches and after school snacks and even fussy eater Master Frugal managed to eat one which is an achievement in itself!