Something odd happened on Easter Sunday in our house!
I was in the kitchen cooking the Sunday Dinner and baking a banana loaf with some bananas that were just about to turn whilst managing an argument between the kids about who could spin something the fastest when Mr Frugal offered to take over the banana bread making.
This is a man who bakes once a year on Christmas Eve with the kids to keep them occupied while I have some peace on what’s usually a very busy day so you can imagine my surprise when he made the offer, can’t you?
I told him what to add and with just a few tweaks to my foolproof banana bread recipe (because, you know, he’s a man who thinks he knows better than me despite the fact I bake at least once a week compared to his once a year attempt) he ended up making a pretty decent banana loaf.
In fact, don’t tell him I said this but I actually like his version of banana bread better than mine….
Homemade banana bread with cinnamon drizzle….
For the banana bread loaf:
- 150 g brown sugar
- 150 g butter or margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 150 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 caps vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas , mashed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the cinnamon drizzle icing:
- Brown sugar to sprinkle
- 50 g icing sugar
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream together the sugar and the butter.
- Next, beat the eggs into the mixture.
- Add the baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla and the mashed bananas and give it all a good stir.
- Fold in the flour and combine everything.
- Line a loaf tin with baking parchment and pour the mix into the tin.
- Bake for around 25 minutes (I start checking after 20) until you can insert a knife into the centre of the cake and it comes out clean.
- While the cake is in the oven, combine the icing sugar with the cinnamon and water until you get a slightly runny icing. The cinnamon here can really give the cake a kick so be careful you don't add too much for your family's tastes. Mine like a lot!!
- About five minutes after the cake has come out of the oven, sprinkle with the brown sugar and then drizzle over the cinnamon drizzle icing.
- Leave to cool and then serve.
The resulting banana bread was beautifully moist with the cinnamon drizzle giving it a nice little kick without it being too much!
If you liked this recipe for Homemade banana bread with cinnamon drizzle you can save it to your own recipe box if you use Yummly – just click on the YUM icon at the bottom of this post.
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.