Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) It’s been way too long since I started one of these posts with a fresh flowers bargain, hasn’t it?
It’s because I’ve not been going to the shops very much and when I do, it’s on my way home from work to avoid an extra trip so I just haven’t been about for the good flower bargains.
These little beauties set me back a whole 30p this week though and I was more excited than I probably should have been to pick them up! I know tulips rarely last long, especially when I get them as a bargain and they’re already open like this but they’re genuinely my favourite flower and these bright pink ones are making me smile right now!
2) It’s no council tax month this month (and next) for us which is a substantial amount as our council tax is actually pretty high where we live. I think it’s £169 a month from memory which isn’t a reflection on the size of our house at all, more that we live in one of the most expensive areas of the country for council tax.
I was planning to make an overpayment on the mortgage but I’m actually going to use the amount to pay into our energy account with Bulb as I’m super conscious that with the school and colleges closed at the moment we’re going to be spending more on energy as we never really heat the house through the day at this time of year with no-one usually being at home through the day. I’d much rather that they owe me money rather than me owing them money.
3) Lunches this week were Spicy sweet potato and butternut squash soup which I made on Monday morning using some frozen butternut squash and sweet potato chunks. Not the most economical way to make the soup but Asda do 700g of frozen butternut squash chunks for £1.24 and 700g of frozen Sweet Potato chunks for £1.60 which isn’t too bad. I use half of each pack and it does three hungry sized portions which makes each portion about 45p
That did two lunches for me and one for Master Frugal who fancied soup when he heard the soupmaker on. I had some mini egg omelettes from the freezer on Wednesday and half a leftover homemade pizza yesterday so all in all, lunches have been pretty cheap all week.
4) Poor Monty and Buddy have had their latest lockdown hair cuts courtesy of me and the clippers I bought from Argos at the start of the first lockdown.
Honestly, I’ve saved a fortune cutting them myself and I think I’ll just keep on doing it myself as I’m not fussed about the dogs looking smart as long as they’re happy. 😂. Just look at that face…
5) I batch cooked a big batch of waffles this week (unintentionally – I just made too much mix) so I’ve popped some in the freezer and my plan is that I’ll just grab some out and pop them in the toaster to heat them up.
I’ll let you know how it goes but if they reheat as well as I think they will then they could be a breakfast game-changer!
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve almost hit 37,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉