Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life. I’m not perfect though – far from it – so for this week’s post I thought I’d share a few of the ‘almost’ frugal things that I did this week.
1) Look at these little beauties…
The big guy in the front was a bargain from the reduced section because it looks a bit worse for wear up close and he’s a bit wonky so I picked him up and thought I’d take him home and bring him back to life for the grand old price of £2 as the plant pot itself is worth more than that and I’ve been after one like that for a while.
But then I realised that the three plant pots looked great together and decided to buy the other two as well for the not so bargainous price of £5.00 each. They do look great together though and brighten up my living room windowsill so not a huge fail. But then, this happened too…
And then this fell into my trolley too…
So one bargain £2 cute cactus broke me but I have some lovely new plants now so not a total loss.
2) I popped into M&S after work on Monday night as they had a takeaway meal deal where you get two big pizzas and two sides for £10 which is a good deal and much cheaper than a takeaway which was my other option considering I had no intention of cooking anything after a long day at work.
I got my two sides – dirty fries and mozzarella sticks and then big spinach and mushroom pizza but I couldn’t decide on what to get for our second pizza. I sent Master Frugal a text asking him what he fancied and wandered around while I waited for him to reply. I got a few extra bits and bobs while I was in there and totally forgot to wait for his reply so I ended up paying without going back to get the second pizza and it was only when I got home that I realised that I hadn’t gone back and got one.
That meant I actually paid about £1 more for my pizza and two sides than I would have paid if I’d added the extra pizza! How frustrating is that?
3) Remember me saying last week that I’d started making overnight oats to take to work for my breakfast?
Well, so far I’ve actually forgotten to take them twice this week already! By the time I get home from work, it just tastes too mushy so because I’m the only one that likes them they’ve just gone to waste which is such a shame. I need to find a way to remind myself to take it out of the fridge or I’m going to have to stop making them as I hate waste.
4) I took Master Frugal out for a drive on Sunday night and forgot my purse and the bottle of water I left on the side to bring with us. And no, I’m not normally one of those who’s organised enough to take bottles of water when I’m going out but then again, I can normally wait till I get home to be fair.
On Sunday afternoon though, I had a bit of a mini incident where a mouthful of water that I was drinking went down the wrong way which sent me into a bit of a dramatic coughing fit. 😂. Considering it was the equivalent of about a tablespoon full of water that I’d swallowed, there was a lot of coughing and I ended up with a sore throat so I knew I’d want water while we were out.
So forgetting my water meant that when I realised about twenty minutes from home that my throat was getting tickly and that I needed a drink but had forgotten my purse that I was going to have to make a stop and buy something using the card I keep in the back of my phone case.
It was Sunday night so most places were shut but we did find an ice cream shop where I could pay by card. The minimum order was £5 though when paying by card so I got a large Tango Ice Blast and Master Frugal got a lemon top ice cream costing almost £8.
That was the longest story ever – basically, I forgot my purse and drink and spent £8.
5) And last frugal fail of the week, I bought some flowers from the reduced section on Monday night when I went to the shop and they were lovely. I got up on Tuesday morning and went to take a photo to share with you in the better light and imagine my horror when I saw that the dust from the lilies had stained my kitchen wall a bright orange where it had been pushed a bit too close to it.
It took me ten minutes and three different products to get rid of the stain and even when my panic was over, I forgot to take a photo of the flowers!
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve almost hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.