Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) Before I left for work last Sunday, I sorted out the dirty washing and left strict instructions for Miss Frugal to get it all done and hung out on the line to dry while the weather was nice. It’s the first time in ages that I’ve been able to line dry the washing due to the unchangeable weather and I love that she managed to get it all done and out ready to bring in when I got in from work.
2) Who takes their car through a car wash? I do every now and again – usually when my car gets so dirty that I forget what colour it actually is and it costs about five pounds each time unless I splash out and go for the top wash which is about seven pounds! I know it’s not particularly money-saving but it’s worth it to me under normal circumstances as I don’t have the time usually to wash it by hand and I’d rather give the kids jobs around the house to do than ask them to wash the car.
Anyway, last Saturday Miss Frugal and I filled our washing up bowl with some hot soapy water, grabbed a couple of microfiber cloths and washed my car by hand.
I wouldn’t exactly say it was a fun job that I’m planning to do regularly but I do think it looked shinier than when I take it through a car wash and it saved me a fiver so we’ll class it as one of my five frugal things shall we?
3) Poor Miss Frugal’s holiday has been cancelled again! She was due to go to Tenerife with her friend and her family last October but it got cancelled when Thomas Cook went bust and now their re-booked trip has been cancelled as most companies are now cancelling right up until Mid-June. I’m so sad for them all but seeing as they’ve decided not to rebook at this point, we did manage to get a nice little refund. I considered doing something fun with the money but I’ve been sensible and made an overpayment to my mortgage.
(Well done Jet2 by the way – cancelled and refunded in full within days of making the decision!)
4) I have a Paypal debit card that earns me cashback when I spend but I rarely spend on there as I usually just transfer any money I have in there into my main bank account. I’ve started to use the card more in the last couple of weeks though and I got this email through from Paypal last week to tell me how much cashback I’d earned in March.
Not a huge amount but I only started using it halfway through the month and thanks to lockdown, I’ve not done much shopping at all. If I use it for a full month when things are back to normal then I should start seeing more cashback being applied each month!
5) I’ve been getting my nails done on a regular basis for a couple of years now and I must admit that it’s one treat that I wouldn’t hate to give up permanently! I know, I know – there’s better things to spend money on but hey ho. Anyway, this week I gave myself a cheeky little home nail treat…
I don’t think they look too bad to be fair although they’re definitely not as nice as my usual nails. 😉 They cost £5.50 from Asda as opposed to the usual £20 ish that I pay.
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 30,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.