This super-easy funfetti mug cake is so easy to make that you can literally be sat at your table eating it less than five minutes after you’ve decided you need a cake fix!
Miss Frugal’s developed a bit of a love for mug cakes – mainly because she’s quite impatient and most definitely doesn’t like to share her cake! She likes something that she can make for herself quickly and that she can take upstairs with her to enjoy while she’s watching Netflix!
Mug cakes definitely fit the bill as there’s no weighing involved (she uses tablespoons and teaspoons as her measurements), minimal mixing and then nothing too difficult in the cooking department with no big clean up involved when she’s done.
Basically mug cakes are perfect for her!
So yesterday, I decided to make her a little treat – a funfetti mug cake. It turned out really well although if you follow me on Instagram then you’ll have spotted the first version on my stories which was most definitely a big fat fail. I tweaked the quantities a few times and ended up with a super tasty, fun funfetti mug cake.
I ended up making this three times after I’d mastered it as everyone wanted one and all of them worked perfectly!
How to make your own funfetti mug cake
1 tablespoon butter
1 small egg
1/2 tablespoon milk
1 capful vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons self-raising flour
1-2 tablespoons funfetti (a posh name for multicoloured cake decorating strands)
- Add the butter to your mug (a reasonably large one is recommended) and pop it in the microwave until it’s melted. I go with a blast of 20 seconds and then 10 seconds after that until it’s melted.
- Add the egg and give it a good mix. I use a spoon as I hate the scraping of the fork on the mug when I’m whisking so I prefer a spoon when I’m making mug cakes.
- Add the sugar, flour, milk and vanilla and again, give it a good old mix.
- Now gently stir through about three-quarters of the funfetti, trying to make it as evenly distributed throughout the cake batter as possible.
- Wipe around the sides of the mug inside to clean off any of the batter mix that’s no doubt splattered up the side of the mug.
- Pop it in the microwave for 1 minute initially followed by 20-second blasts until the cake is looking cooked. I tend to consider it ready when the cake looks cooked and is separating itself from the edge of the mug.
It’s so fun to eat as well as super tasty so if you fancy a treat then this amazing funfetti mug cake comes highly recommended by everyone in our family!
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. You can find out more about me here.
Pin my super-easy funfetti mug cake for later: