Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) OK, I should probably save this one for my monthly pre-loved bargain post but it’s one of my favourite bargains in a good while for a couple of reasons so I can’t wait to share it. 😂
I picked up a pair of immaculate look to be new knee-high boots that actually fit properly around my calves – something pretty much unheard until I lost some weight and as if that wasn’t a good enough reason to love them, they were actually in the pound section so they were an absolute steal. I did even ask the lady who was refilling the shelves if they’d been put in the right section and she said that they’d had that many donations recently that they were trying to clear stock. I’m not convinced still as there was plenty of other shoes and boots that were more expensive than a pound but I felt better for at least asking.
2) It’s the time of year where I want to start burning candles, especially through the day when I’m working from home as the skies are grey and I want to brighten up my office (AKA the corner in the bedroom). What I don’t want to do is spend a fortune on candles though so I thought I’d try one of the Tesco candles that I came across in the middle of the air freshener aisle.
It cost me £1.50 and not only burned for much longer than its expensive cousins in the scented candle aisle. It means that I can have something I enjoy without breaking the bank.
3) I printed out my Christmas planner this week and started making a plan. At the minute, I have a box with random bits that I’ve bought for Christmas tucked under the bed in the spare room, and now seems like a good time to start getting properly organised.
You can print a copy out here if you want to be as organised as I am. 😂
4) I’ve given in and put my heating on this week but I’ve been round and turned the radiators off in all of the bedrooms upstairs because we really do hate having the heating on in our house. It feels so stuffy inside when the heating is on so it’s a win-win turning off the bedroom radiators as it’s not only more comfortable for us but having a third of the radiators in the house turned off means that we’re saving money on our energy bills too!
5) At one time, I had a good two shelves filled with cookbooks in my kitchen and I could easily go out and spend £10 on the latest cookbook that caught my eye even though I’d rarely actually cook anything from them. 😂
It occurred to me this week as I was watching a Gordon Ramsay video on YouTube that not only could I not remember the last time that I bought a cookbook but I’ve also streamlined my collection of Cookbooks down to just one – my old faithful Be-Ro cookbook.
I realised that the world’s best recipe book is right here in my Macbook and that when I need a recipe, I just type in what I’m after and there’s always an option. This week, I’ve googled recipes for Quorn Tacos, made a hash after searching for ‘what to do with leftover boiled potatoes and searched for a recipe similar to one I was making in the Instant Pot to get an idea of cooking time. Who needs cookbooks if you have access to the internet!
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉