Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) I had some bananas to use up so instead of using my usual go-to banana recipes, I thought I’d attempt a flapjack instead. I’ll be honest though, it wasn’t the biggest success ever as the silicone baking tray that I used was too big so by the time I’d spread the flapjack mixture out, it was practically paper-thin.
In case you’re interested, my usual recipes to use up leftover bananas are banana bread with cinnamon drizzle, pistachio and banana bread, banana and strawberry cake, avocado and banana hair mask or banana and blueberry muffins.
2) I’m a total convert to shampoo bars after trying the new Garnier Ginger recovery bar when it was half price back in February. I knew I loved it after a couple of uses so I bought another one while it was still half price to put away for when I finished my first one and it’s now back on offer again so I’ve bought another two.
I do have my own recipe for a homemade lavender and mint shampoo bar if you want to try making your own but I’ll be honest, when I can buy the Garnier ones for between £3 and £4 on offer then I just do that as it’s so good.
3) I made a batch of my homemade Febreze and finally got around to updating my old post which is something I’ve been meaning to do for at least a year. Every time I make a batch, I promise myself that I’ll take some photos and update the post to share it with you but every time, I either forget or tell myself I’ll do it next time instead.
And just look at the photo I used to update the post… That’s a random piece of card, an offcut of my pink marble sticky-backed plastic and a fake plant I bought from Ikea many many years ago – who says you need expensive props and good lighting to take a blog photo. 😂😂😂
Seriously though, taking good photos so I can share things on here has seriously knocked me over the last year or so. I make lots of things but don’t share them because I can’t get a good photo without a full-on military operation in my kitchen with lighting, props and everything else that it takes. I know a photo isn’t everything and you should never compare yourself to other people but I kind of feel like my photos are very amateurish and basic and everyone else’s are professional quality. I can do it when I need to but rarely have the time for a full-on photoshoot and my free time is mostly on an evening when the light is so poor that there’s no saving some of the photos I take.
I’d be lying if I said it hadn’t stopped me sharing a lot this last year but I’m going to try and stop feeling sorry for myself and just share what I have. Apologies for the ‘woe is me’ interruption to this week’s post!
4) Lunches have been leftovers most days this week:
Monday – leftovers from Sunday’s Instant Pot Minced Beef and Onions
Tuesday – leftover Instant Pot Fajitas stirred through some Jasmine Rice
Wednesday – roasted veg from Tuesday’s nights veg and chicken stirred through some couscous
Thursday – scrambled egg on toast
Working from home might not be my favourite thing but I do like the lunches that I can prep! I know I wouldn’t have taken the time to prep any of the above in time to take to work and would have either ended up buying something or taking something so boring that I’d be bored of it after a couple of mouthfuls.
5) I’ve been good this week and worked a little bit of overtime! Not the most exciting of updates I know but it’s a sensible one as I know I’ve got a few big expenses coming up soon.
An extra hour or so each day when I’m working from home doesn’t seem as bad so I’m trying to do what I can when I can and then I’ll pop the extra money I get into my savings so I’m not tempted to spend it.
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉