Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) So, this week I put my name down on the waiting list for an allotment plot near where I live. I imagine it will be 2037 or something before I get to the top of the list but I’ve done it and hopefully, one day I’ll be a proud allotment keeper. For now, I’ll have to stick to my little greenhouse.
I don’t think I’ll ever be a super mad gardener as I don’t really enjoy the hard work of it all but I do like the idea of being more sustainable and growing more of our own food so an allotment feels like the way forward.
2) I checked my credit rating this month to make sure there were no issues and that my score is still looking healthy and thankfully I’m still there at 999 which is a relief as I had a nightmare about missing a payment on something and it must have been that real that I wasn’t sure at one point if I’d dreamed it or if I’d actually missed a payment.
My credit score is a bit is important to me at the moment as I’m going to need a good score for something in the near future so I’ve been checking it every month religiously to make sure I know exactly where I am. I also check to make sure nothing dodgy is going on by checking my full credit report every now and again as that highlights any credit searches that have been done – just to make sure no-one is fraudulently applying for anyone in my name because the earlier you know about something like that, the better. I did a full check this week and all is good although I did notice that a card I was convinced I’d closed was showing as open again so I’ve been in touch with the company to sort. I’m sure it’s some sort of error on their side as I’m convinced I didn’t miss it last time I did my check but either way, it’s been flagged now so no dramas.
I’ve written before about how to check your credit file yourself for free if you want to have a quick read – I definitely recommend doing it every now and again.
3) Miss Frugal has been accepted into her university of choice (she actually had a couple of offers to choose from) and Master Frugal is excited to have got a place on all of the courses he wanted to do at college so we’ve been excitedly starting to prep for both uni and college. I’m so proud of them both that I could literally burst when I think about them and how well they’ve done in such difficult circumstances.
Miss Frugal is going to be staying close to home and studying business so although she won’t be living here, she’s not going to be far away and doesn’t need very much in the way of stuff. She does need a new Macbook though as hers is a good few years old so I think she’s going to treat herself to one when she gets her student loan through (she only got the basic amount so it’s not much to be fair but she has a part time job and me to help her out so she should be OK.
Master Frugal is going to need very little college wise but I do think he’ll need a fair amount of new clothes as he’s had a growth spurt. Again. 😂
So this week, we’ve been investigating student discounts available and applying for Master Frugal’s NUS card.
4) I’m still losing weight – slowly but surely. I know I’m not losing it as fast as I have little to no willpower but I’m good with that at the moment as I’m enjoying getting my life back to some kind of normality after the last 18 months or so.
I feel like I’m losing inches rather than weight if that makes sense – I’ve gone down two bra sizes and some of my clothes are a bit too baggy to be flattering now so I’ve got a cheeky system going on where by anything I try on from my wardrobe that doesn’t make me feel good gets put in a plastic box in our spare room and then on a weekend I’ll list everything on Vinted to see if I can make a few pounds from it which I then use to buy new clothes on there in a size down. So, I’m replacing my wardrobe one item at a time without spending money.
Last weekend, I dug out a couple of dresses that I’ve been thinking about wearing to a wedding in a couple of weeks and they’re just not a good fit anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t lost enough weight that they’re hanging off me and would fall down if I wore them but they’re just big enough now that they don’t hang nicely and I just don’t feel good in them so I put them straight on Vinted and chose a couple to replace them which look super pretty I think.
Maybe this month’s Pre-Loved Bargains post can be a wedding guest outfit edition and I’ll show you my bargains but to give you a sneak peek, here’s one of them…
I think this could be ideal but I do have a couple of extra ones coming so I definitely have one that fits and that I like.
5) I batch-cooked some jacket potatoes on Sunday as I got a big bag of baked potatoes in a £3.25 Too Good to Go Magic bag from the Spar near me on Saturday night. I cooked them all in the oven and had the biggest one for tea on Sunday night with the smaller ones for lunch on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday night, I made homemade chicken parmos and used the last couple to make some potato skins in the Actify to serve with them.
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉