Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) Monday night after work, I had some kind of Domestic Goddess moment and made some roasted sweet potato and bean with feta cheese quesadillas and while the sweet potato was roasting, I made a beef ragu type thing to pop in the fridge for tea on Tuesday. All from food that needed using up in the fridge.
So Monday night’s tea was the quesadillas, Tuesday was the mince in a pasta bake and Wednesday was the leftover quesadillas baked in the last of the mince.
2) I’ve had some adventures recently with fake tan as I’ve been experimenting with a couple of different brands to see if there was one that would just give me a glow rather than the orange look that I usually get when using a fake tan. I did find a brand I liked but clearly, when I used it at the weekend, I did something wrong as I looked like an Oompa Loompa within an hour.
I wanted a nice glow and ended up looking orange which wasn’t the look I was going for so I googled what to do and after the expensive tan removal sprays and creams, I found a couple of homemade solutions which I thought would be worth trying out.
I read about mixing bicarbonate of soda with lemon juice and thought that sounded like a good one for me to try to start with – it works on stubborn stains in the house so why wouldn’t it work on me. 😂
Well… I’m not sure what I did wrong but I mixed it like it said in all the posts about it and covered the most offensive of the orange-ness in the resulting solution and waited. I didn’t have to wait long before the stinging started but I decided to persevere for a couple of minutes with my skin stinging a little bit while I googled if it was normal. By the time I got to the stage where I realised Google wasn’t going to bring up any info, I thought it was best to abandon the plan and wash it off.
I washed off the lemon mix to reveal a lovely attractive looking rash where I’d clearly had a reaction to the mixture but even worse than the rash was the fact that the fake tan was still bloody there! So now I had orange skin with spots on it.
The rash went down quite quickly thankfully so the next day I used baby oil and a hot bath to get rid of the worst of it which was the second most popular answer on Google but needless to say, my adventures in fake tanning are over.
I know I saved money here on not buying the expensive removal spray but I almost didn’t include this one as I kind of wished that I had. 😂
3) It was Miss Frugal’s Birthday this week and I went to the shop to buy all the ingredients for an amazing homemade cake before realising that they added up to a small fortune and she’d really rather I just gave her the money to pay for her tea out with her friends. There’s only me who’s a fan of cake and I’m still trying to lose some weight so everyone else would have a little slice and be done with it so even though it felt odd not having a cake when it’s the thing to do, I think she preferred having her tea paid for.
4) I’m planning a big Spring Clean this weekend so this week I’ve been decluttering – I’ve listed a few things on Vinted (Read this : How to sell on Vinted), booked in two tip runs for tomorrow, and got a big bag ready for the charity shop. I also have a couple of bits of furniture to pop on Facebook Marketplace so hopefully by the end of the weekend, I’ll be a bit more decluttered than I feel now and have a few pounds in my pocket.
5) I’ve made some of my essential oils room spray this week using a mix of peppermint and lemon essential oils although it’s made in a boring plastic spray bottle rather than this one as I can’t find this one anywhere.
Hopefully I’ll find it this weekend when I’m Spring Cleaning as it’s so pretty that I can just leave it out on the sideboard to remind me to spray every now and again when I walk past.
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉