Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) Have I ever shown you my breadcrumb bag?
(Any yes, I realise that the fact I have a bag in the freezer that I call my breadcrumb bag makes me super sad).
I have a cute little hand blender so if I ever have any leftover bread from a loaf then I pop it in the blender and make breadcrumbs to use for things like chicken kievs and fishcakes. I keep them in a bag in the freezer so they’re ready when I need them. This week, I bought a baguette from the shop reduced to 9p – some of which I used to go with some homemade soup for lunch the next day and the rest I blended and added to my breadcrumb bag.
2) Last Sunday when I was going through the fridge when I realised I had an out of date pack of broccoli and some limp looking spring onion so I decided to make a cheeky soup in the soupmaker. This was around 250g broccoli, a medium-sized potato, a spoon of garlic, and about six pathetic looking spring onions. I added a lot of pepper along with a stock cube and then to give it a bit of a kick, I added some mexican spice.
I know it looks really green and meh but it tasted amazing!
It also inspired a post about my top tips and tricks for using a soupmaker which I shared on Monday.
3) I dug out my carpet cleaner from the garage this week and gave the floors a super deep clean last weekend and I was absolutely mortified to see the colour of the water from what I thought were reasonably clean!
I see people charging a fortune for deep carpet cleans like this – in fact, my machine sells for less than some of the prices being quoted for a full house clean. It took some effort to do the whole house from top to bottom but it was well worth it and my carpets look nice and new again.
Just to be clear, I did get mine sent a couple of years ago for a review but it’s been at the back of the garage for a good year now. I remembered about it when two different people mentioned to me in as many days that they’d bought a carpet cleaner themselves and were super impressed with the results.
I decided to dig mine out and give it a go and the difference is huge even though I thought my carpets were clean!
4) I made a batch of mini omelette muffins to pop in the freezer for lunches this week and they’ve been brilliant as they’re so quick and easy to make
I love grab and go snacks when I’m working from home!
5) It’s payday this week and I was a good girl and overpaid my mortgage by £100 extra on the day I got paid – if I didn’t do it right away then I knew I’d spend the money so I literally did in on the morning before I changed my mind.
I have my mortgage set up in my online banking so it takes about one minute from start to finish to make an extra payment so I know I’m less likely to change my mind once I’ve decided to do it!
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve almost hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉