Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) Have you ever read my post about how to be financially resilient? Probably not I know but basically, I shared some of the things I do to try and plan for emergencies and one of the things is the boiler cover I pay for through British Gas. I’ve written about this in more detail yesterday but basically, my boiler broke down last Friday night and although I’m not a huge fan of central heating and only have it on for a few hours a day, those few hours are necessary to keep the house at an acceptable temperature. I’m also quite partial to having hot water on demand so the prospect of a broken boiler didn’t fill me with excitement.
I managed to log into my online account within five minutes and get an engineer visit booked in for the following day. He had a temporary fix in place by 9.30 on Saturday morning and a full repair done after a second visit on Monday when the part he needed arrived.
I have their HomeCare 2 product which covers my boiler, my central heating and all related controls for £13.50 a month and I can’t tell you how glad I was to have the cover in place last weekend. You also get an annual service included but I didn’t do ours last year with COVID and I’ve totally forgotten about it so far this year until this happened!
There’s more in my post yesterday but if you’re interested, here’s my refer a friend link – British Gas Homecare. We both get an Amazon voucher if you do sign up but that’s not why I’m sharing. 😇
2) I made Sausage and Stuffing Toad in the Hole for tea earlier this week using some leftover stuffing balls and some sausages from the freezer!
It’s such a cheap and filling meal even if you’re not using leftover stuffing balls and sausages from the freezer like I did. 😇
3) I know Boris has made his big announcement about working from home where you can again from next week but for this week, I’ve been working from home anyway to save myself a few pennies. And by a few pennies, I mean a lot of pounds based on the fact that my commute is an 80-mile round trip and petrol is ridiculously expensive at the moment.
And I have this guy as my little homeworking buddy as an added bonus…
He lays on the bed behind me all day so every now and again, I just turn around and get a doggy cuddle.
4) I made a lovely batch of homemade Febreze last night!
I went with a sunshine summer fragrance of air freshener to really freshen up the grey days we’re seeing at the moment!
5) I’ve been printing out some of my gift certificates this week ready for some of the kids’ Christmas gifts. I do like experience gifts more than actual presents (the kids are the other way round though) so I do always include a few fun things to do in my gifts and these cute little certificates work really well to present them in a pretty way.
I’ve made them early so I can laminate them at a friends next week when I pop around as my laminator has died a death!
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉