1) I should have shared this last week but I completely forgot about it! It’s a good one so I’m sure you don’t mind me sharing it this week instead, right?
Basically, Miss Frugal’s bedroom drawers fell apart and no amount of glue was going to save them this time around (they’re the one’s we bought for her nursery before she was born) so we popped to IKEA to buy the Malm drawers and bedside cabinet that she’s had her eye on for the last year!
As we always do, we headed to the Bargain Basement as the last stop before paying where we found the same set of drawers that we had in our basket for £10 cheaper as they were ex-display.
Now I’m not going to lie, the fuss Mr Frugal makes when he has to build something is ridiculous so I would have actually paid more to have them built for us – imagine my excitement when they were not only built but also cheaper!
2) I’m pretty sure I’ve told you more than once that I love Orla Kiely designs and for as long as I can remember, I’ve been after an Orla Kiely bedding set. Well, this week I was in need of a new bedding set after an accident with a yellow Sharpie and a child who thought they could lean on my bed to do their art homework. I was already using the ‘good’ side of the quilt cover after a previous incident with a wet pair of jeans being left on the bed and transferring some of the colour on to my lovely cream duvet cover!
I like a good quality quilt cover because, let’s face it, we spend long enough in bed to deserve something nice while we’re in there so I headed to TKMaxx because I know they do some great brands for homewear and every now and again I spot a real bargain in there! I found a super pretty bedding set with an RRP of £108 selling for just £39.99 – it’s my favourite stem design but in a colour scheme I’ve not seen before which matches my bedroom decor. It was the last one there so I snapped it up!
It’s selling on the Orla Kiely website for £108 so it definitely was a good deal and one of those occasions where I think paying a little bit more is worth it. I’m sharing it here because (a) it’s moneysaving as it’s a HUGE saving off the RRP, (b) I’ve wanted one of these bedding sets for ages but I didn’t get one until I needed it and (c) I really, really love it and wanted to share it with you. 😉
Do you ever spend more on luxury items?
3) Did you see my cute little teacup candle yesterday?
I’ve been wanting to have a go at making one for ages but always decided against it when I realised I’d have to buy special wax and wicks and faff about so this was the perfect cheat’s way to make myself one!
4) We got our energy bill this week and I’m pleased to see that we’re using less gas and electricity than we were this time last year which is a good thing! All of my nagging about turning things off when they’re not being used is getting through and actually having a positive effect!
5) I made minced beef and onions for tea on Monday night and bulked it out with a bit of quorn mince and a little bit of grated carrot although no-one noticed at all. I put the leftovers in the fridge and the next day I used up most of the leftovers in a pie that we had with some homemade fries and then I made a mini cottage pies with the last bit of it to pop in the freezer.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.