Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) Sunday and Monday’s lunches were homemade soup made from some leftover shredded chicken and a leek and potato soup mix that I bought for 55p from Tesco.
It was amazing – the shredded chicken which I made with some Italian Seasoning added a lovely flavour to it. I just wish it wasn’t such a miserable looking green colour – it would be much tastier if it was a vibrant red like tomato soup. 😉
2) This looks disgusting, I get that! But it was the most amazing dessert I’ve had in a long time…
We were trying to recreate the Dominos Pizza Cookie Dough Dessert which is £4.49 per portion – a portion being 4 small warm and squidgy chocolate chip cookies. I’d promised the kids a ‘fun’ dessert so I tried to fake the Dominos dessert I knew they loved.
It’s basically a pack of cookies from the bakery section in Asda, topped with Cadbury’s buttons and a little milk poured over the top. I popped it all in the microwave for a minute or so until the milk started to soak into the cookies and the buttons started to melt. The cookies were warm and soft and we just dug in with a spoon each so we had our own sharing dessert that tasted *almost* as good as the Dominos version.
Actually, considering our version cost about 20% of the amount the shop-bought version would have cost us had we gone to Dominos then I think our version was so much better!
3) I had a mini pamper session last Sunday night as I was going crazy being stuck in the house all day thanks to Storm Ciara. I made a teeny batch of my gingerbread lip scrub, made an oatmeal facemask and had a good soak in the bath.
Then I put my pyjamas on, got into bed and watched Netflix and read my Kindle for the rest of the night.
4) It’s no council tax month for us this month but I’ve taken the money out of the bank so it doesn’t get absorbed into our normal spending. I’ve moved it over to my savings account where it’ll sit until I book a holiday and then it’ll go towards that.
I know myself and I know that if it was easy to get to then I’d just spend the money so moving it to an account where it’s harder to access means I’d need to make more effort to get at it which will make me think twice.
5) Does it count that I went out last weekend and we specifically chose the bar we went to based on the fact that cocktails were 2 for £10?
It’s the second time in a month that I’ve been to this same place so I knew that if we went here then I’d spend way less than if I went somewhere else in town. 😉 😉
I’ve not been out very much at all over the last few years and I really let myself lose touch with a lot of my friends as I found it a struggle to cope with my Dad when he was poorly and then after he died, it felt really hard to get back into the habit of turning to my friends when I needed them or even just saying yes to invitations.
I really wanted this year to be different so I’ve started to say yes a little more! I’m far from a going out party kind of person but the odd night out catching up with friends is making me so happy at the moment.
Being able to spend £10 on two large cocktails means that I can have a night out for not very much!
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.