1) With our trip to New York fast approaching Miss Frugal has been wanting to watch more and more YouTube videos about everything from the flight to the sights and the food to the shopping. I’m taking advantage of every minute she wants to spend with me because I know that, at 14, it might not last too much longer so we’ve been watching YouTube instead of reading guidebooks like I remember doing about places we were travelling too when I was younger. Not only are we having fun spending time together watching them, we’re saving money on guidebooks (it’s OK, that’s not the frugal link to this one) and I am totally learning how to apply makeup seeing as lots of the shopping videos feature make-up hauls and tutorials.
I’ve learned more than I ever need to know about contouring and eyebrow perfecting and I also discovered a brand of under eye concealer that comes up time and time again as a ‘beauty favourite’ – Maybelline Instant Anti Age Eye Eraser which is £7.99 on Amazon. I already had this and was a huge fan but not being a beauty expert I didn’t really feel comfortable recommending it. Now that I can see I’m not the only one who loves it then I thought I’d mention it as it’s much cheaper than it’s big brand counterparts. I bought mine when Maybelline was buy one, get one half price in Boots a while ago so it was an even bigger bargain.
2) I used the leftover roast chicken we had from lunch on Sunday to make chicken stock and a chicken and lemon risotto for tea on Monday night which was amazing. I’ll try and blog the recipe for you but I think I might have to make it again first as it was a bit of an experiment that went well rather than following any sort of plan for the meal.
It’s getting harder to make a chicken last over a few meals now that the kids are a bit older with bigger appetites but I’m pleased with the two good sized meals for us all and the chicken stock I now have in the freezer.
3) We’re at the time of year where Mr Frugal is reading into everything I say looking for ideas on what to buy me for my Birthday – I only have to look at something in a shop before he’s all over it asking if I want it. It’s a lovely thought but I’ve asked him not to bother with a present for me this year as I’m already conscious about the cost of New York next month. We’ve decided that he’s going to cook me a nice meal (I suspect a takeaway menu will be involved) and then we’ll spend a nice night watching TV. I’ve also agreed the same with the kids for Mothers Day this year, I’d rather they did something nice like Miss Frugal did last year than spend their pocketmoney on me.
4) Soup has been my staple lunch this week with the first few days being a gorgeous leek and potato soup and the rest of the week’s lunch has been my spicy sweet potato and butternut squash soup.
I’ve been using my Sistema soup containers to store the soup in because I love that I can easily pop them in the microwave to heat them up and use them as bowls too.
5) I’m struggling to sleep a little bit at the moment so I’ve made myself some homemade sleep spray that I’m hoping will help me relax – it’s a mix of water, witch hazel and lavender essential oil so I’ll report back if it works. If it does it will be amazing as it cost literally pennies to make and I’d pay a fortune for a good night’s sleep right now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also find me on BlogLovin, Yummly and Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.