1) It’s October and we haven’t had the heating on yet – that’s mostly been because the weather seems to have been a bit milder than usual but there have been a few days where I’ve considered it. I hate having the heating on because our house is quite a warm house anyway and it feels quite stuffy when the heating is on so I try to put it off as long as I can. I’ve added a nice fluffy blanket to the bottom of everyone’s bed but I can’t see that they’ve been used yet.
2) Did you see my meal plan earlier this week? It was a total triumph for my batch cooking as I’ve had a super easy week for meals after my operation on Tuesday and I know that if I hadn’t organised myself and written everything down then the temptation for Mr Frugal to buy the kids a couple of extra takeaways (they did have Maccydees on Tuesday) to save himself the trouble of cooking.
The only change to the menu plan we had was a quick slow cooker mushroom risotto for tea instead of cottage pie last night as we didn’t remember to get it out of the freezer. 😉 We’re having it tonight though instead and we’ll have the chicken planned for tonight next week.
3) As part of my #OrganisedOctober challenge, I went through our kitchen noticeboard this week and I was amazed by the number of coupons and vouchers that have been stuck on there and have expired before I’ve used them. It’s been a bit of a dumping ground if I’m honest so I’ve got rid of all the expired vouchers and all of the business cards and leaflets I no longer need. I’ve also started a new family memory box as the last one is overflowing so things have been going on the noticeboard instead. There’s now loads of space on there for my coupons and vouchers and with a new place for family things, it won’t get filled up so quickly.
I’ve also been through our food cupboards and donated a lot of tins and packets to the food bank and been through our bookshelves after my Ziffit post this week.
4) I managed to persuade Miss Frugal not to spend her well earned pocketmoney in Lush this week by making her some amazing coconut oil bath melts.
Unfortunately, one of her friends has just posted a picture on Instagram of their Lush haul which includes bath bombs that she’s never seen before so I can’t guarantee that she won’t be spending next week’s pocketmoney in there!
5) At the car boot sale last weekend we bought Miss Frugal a cashbox with a lock and we’ve sat down and discussed how she’s going to save some money for our holiday next year. She has a goal in mind and has worked out what she needs to save out of her pocketmoney each month to get to that point – she has a notebook and a plan and I have no doubt that she’ll get there! Having a goal makes it so much easier to save for something so I’ve also set myself a holiday goal. I want to try and have it paid off by the end of January rather than March when it’s due and in until it’s paid off and I can start saving properly for spends, I’m going to save all my change in a holiday jar.
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
We’d love to see what you’ve been up to moneysaving wise this week so please do link up with Emma and Becky and I so we can share our moneysaving ideas! Remember, all the small things add up so no matter how small or insignificant you might think it is, share it with us!
Five Fabulously Frugal Things I’ve Done This Week Linky rules
We’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
We’d like to make this a great little community linky so it would be brilliant if you could comment on a couple of the other blog posts linked up. We’ll make sure that we comment on all posts and if you have a Pinterest friendly image then we’ll Pin your post to one of our boards too.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
We’re looking forward to seeing all your lovely thrifty posts!
Don’t forget to follow my ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our five frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peek….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio