Sometimes savoury muffins can be just as tasty as sweeter versions so, after last week’s super easy muffin recipe, I thought I’d share my famous (in my own mind) chilli, cheese and ham muffins which are not only delicious but also great to freeze for packed lunches and very versatile. They are lovely on their own, with butter, dipped in soup and even cut open with a slice of ham in it as a little sandwich.
Chilli, Cheese and Ham Savoury Muffins
250g plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon paprika
A pinch of salt
150g cheese (the cheese with chilli already in it is amazing in this)
Ham or cooked bacon – chopped into small pieces. The amount is up to you depending on how ‘hammy’ you want it. Less is fine, especially when you’re cooking to a budget but more is great if you have some in.
Optional: 2 small red chillies – very finely chopped
- Stir the flour, baking powder, paprika and salt together in a mixing bowl until they’re well combined.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture looks a bit like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the egg and the milk until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the cheese, ham (and the optional chilli) and stir until it’s well mixed.
- You can cook them in traditional muffin cases or as I do in silicon moulds without the cases as they just seem less cake-like if I do it that way.
- I bake them at around 200 c for 20-ish minutes until they look ready. 😉
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.