Real Fruit Juice Gummy Bears are my new favourite thing! Read on to find out why and how to make your own…
First up, the reason why I’m a fan of these real fruit juice gummy bears is that Master Frugal has been unwell lately and one of the things that his doctor has said is that he has super low iron levels. We’ve got some quite strong iron supplements from the doctors and been told to concentrate on increasing his iron levels and to help that, she recommended that we try and up his vitamin C levels too as that really helps with iron absorption.
These little sweets mean that he’s getting a sweet treat and I know that I’m doing something, even as small as this, to help him increase the amount of iron that his body can absorb.
How to make real fruit juice gummy bears
1 cup (230ml) fruit juice – I use fresh orange or apple usually
2 tablespoons of honey
3 sachet of gelatin/vegetarian gelatin – I use the Dr Oetker sachets usually
- Gently heat the juice and the honey in a pan being careful to take it off the heat as soon as the honey has melted into the juice.
- Take the pan off the heat before the juice reaches the boiling point and get ready for the hard part! You need to empty the sachets into the liquid, one by one but you need to be super fast at whisking in the gelatin into the liquid as it can get all clumpy and lumpy if you don’t whisk fast enough – I pour the powder in very slowly and whisk very fast.
- Once all of the gummy powder is dissolved you can use your dropper to fill your moulds as quickly as possible. To do that, put the gummy bear moulds onto a baking tray to make it easier to transfer into the fridge and then using the dropper, pour the juice into the moulds.
- Use any spare juice mix in any other moulds you have to save waste.
- Pop it in the fridge to set.
The more observant amongst you might notice that all the process photos are orange juice gummy bears whereas the final version photos are apple juice gummy bears. That’s because my timing was off – I made the orange juices bears when Master Frugal had friends around so there was about 6 left when I came to take the photos. I made another batch the following week though, hence the apple gummy bears. 😉
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. You can find out more about me here.
Pin my ‘fruit juice gummy bears’ for later…