One of our favourite things about this time of year is coming in to a nice warm house on a dark night, shutting the curtains and snuggling up on the settee with a mug of hot chocolate topped with marshmallows.
So this morning when Miss Frugal was baking cookies we decided to make up our own type of cookie – Hot Chocolate flavour!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
300g plain flour
200g melted butter
1tsp vanilla essence / extract
1tsp of baking powder
A pinch of salt
A big handful mini marshmallows
An even bigger handful of chocolate chips
We also had some butterscotch chips that we threw in at the last minute but they’d be just as nice without.
- Stir together the melted butter and the sugar.
- Add the flour, vanilla, salt and baking powder and then get your hands in and knead it all in together.
- Add the egg, marshmallows, chocolate and the butterscotch if you’re using it and knead the mixture until it resembles a dough although it will look stickier than you might expect it to look. If it really does look too sticky, just add a little extra flour.
- Grease a baking tray and add small balls of the mixture to the tray leaving lots of space between the cookies as they will definitely spread out. A lot.
- Bake at around 180 c for around 15 minutes and if I were you I’d leave them to cool before taking them off the baking tray 😉
If you’re making these with children, it can be quite difficult to get them to make the cookie balls all the same size so we used this, our cake pop scoop which is like a mini ice cream scoop. If you don’t have one you could just use one of those teaspoon/tablespoon measuring things (I don’t know it’s technical term ;-)) but I’d definitely use something so they’re all quite a uniform size and will all cook at the same time.