Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) Halloween is only two sleeps away so my plan for this afternoon is to go into the deep dark depths of my garage to locate the bowl I use for trick or treating every year and then I’ll fill it with the Halloween sweets I bought last month when they were half price in Tesco. 😂
I only buy a couple of packs and then I pop one of my No Trick or Treating posters up in the door because the constant knocking really does unsettle the dogs so we try and balance joining in with the kids and keeping the dogs happy.
2) For tea last Saturday, I bought a Too Good To Go Magic Bag For £3.09. This was my little haul…
I froze the bread and made the rest into a picnic tea.
I also managed to get hold of one of the elusive Costa bags this week which cost me £3.00 and although it was good value when you consider how much you’d get for your money in Costa, it’s not as good value as most places that I’ve been to. There was also a fresh cookie in there too that the lady just packed straight from the display for us but Miss Frugal ate it before we were back to the car.
In case you don’t know, Too Good To Go is an amazing app where you can buy ‘Magic Bags’ of food that’s going out of date that day from your local shops to save wasting the food. There are loads of smaller shops near me that are part of it and it seems like more are added every week so it’s worth checking out – I shared a full post on this a while ago if you want to see a couple of examples of some Magic Bags I’ve had in the past.
The only thing I’d say is that I’ve heard in some areas, some takeaways and restaurants are joining and people’s experiences don’t seem to be too good with them so I’m steering clear of them until I hear better things. 😂
3) I’ve never yet met a lipstick that lasts more than about half an hour on my lips so for a while now, I’ve been casually considering getting a semi-permanent lip tattoo – I say casually because when someone I know got hers done, I googled it and found out that it cost £300 and changed my mind.
But then, the lovely lady who does my nails said she was going to be training to do lip blushing and she needed a couple of models to practice on so I volunteered. Now I wouldn’t volunteer for anyone but she’s expanded her salon over the last few years and every treatment she adds, she’s been fantastic at and I absolutely trust her so jumped at the chance to get my lips done for free.
I’ve chosen a very natural colour that’s just a bit darker than my natural colour and the lip blushing procedure is designed to just add a bit of a blush to my lips in my chosen colour.
I’ll probably share a post in a couple of weeks’ time with my experience so if you’re interested then watch this space.
4) I made a big batch of homemade arrabbiata tomato sauce on Sunday as we only have a couple of small portions left in the freezer. I use it all the time so I like to keep my freezer supply topped up.
It’s so versatile that once you make it and get used to having a supply in your freezer then you’re pretty much always going to want to keep a stock in.
5) I had a cheeky little meal plan rearrange when I spotted these in the reduced section of the supermarket…
6 big Yorkshire puddings for 40p was too good a bargain to leave on the shelf so I bought them and replaced my planned meal for tea (fajitas) with Yorkshire Pudds and some mince and onions from the freezer. I then moved everything on a day and skipped Sunday Dinner, replacing it with the mac and cheese that I’d originally planned for Saturday and saving money on buying the Sunday roast meat and veg which I always buy on a Sunday morning as I like to see what’s on offer.
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉