1) I made a double batch of my homemade slow cooker tomato sauce and used it for various different meals this week – We had chicken wrapped in bacon with this over the top and some sweet potato fries, we used it as a pizza topping for our homemade pizzas as well as a sauce to go with homemade meatballs and spaghetti. They were all completely different meals so no one really noticed that this was a vital part of each meal.
2) I haven’t been feeling amazing this week so I made myself some camomile, honey and lemon ice pops to try and help my throat instead of dosing up on sugary throat lozenges. It wasn’t a miracle cure (although neither are the throat lozenges) but it did soothe my throat and I enjoyed the taste so I’m calling that a win.
3) I’ve found a car park in town where you get an hours free car parking – it’s a bit further out but the walk does me good and the less time I have to spend mooching around the shops means less chance to spend money.
4) I made a delicious soup using potatoes, cabbage and spring greens this week (I’ll share the recipe with you over the weekend) which tasted way better than it looked! Later that day, I realised that I didn’t have any stock cubes to make my planned risotto so I added a little more water to the soup and used that instead of stock!
With a bit of natural yoghurt and some sliced sausages, the risotto was even nicer than the soup although I’m the first one to admit that it isn’t the most beautiful looking meal you’ll ever see.
5) I’ve agreed with Mr Frugal that we’re not going to buy Valentines gifts or cards this year – there’s nothing we really want so we’re going to be good and not buy something for the sake of buying it. We’re going to cook a nice meal together on Sunday night and the kids are planning on serving it to us as if we were in a restaurant which should be interesting!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peak….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio