1) When my Nana died I was quite heavily pregnant with Miss Frugal so I wasn’t really in a position to help when it came to clearing out her home although I did take a couple of things of hers to keep as memories of her. I took a pretty battered looking big metal spoon which she used to use for her baking and a Forever Friends fridge magnet that I’d bought her years before – the spoon is used regularly in my own kitchen now and the fridge magnet is on the front of our knife block where I see it every day. The final thing I brought home with me from her house that last day was some small square sheets of gold leaf which I just wanted because I was fascinated with why she had it and what she planned to do with it.
It’s sat in our special box for the last 14 years until one of my particularly arty friends mentioned that she wanted some for a project. I offered her this because it seems wasted to be sat in a drawer when it could be used to make something beautiful so I got it out of the drawer to pass on to her this week but just before I put it in my bag I had a final flick through it, having a moment with my memories, when I saw that the sheets of gold leaf were attached to a little book.
I’d never noticed before because of the way it was folded but it was a little book of gold leaf from goodness knows how many years ago. How lovely is that? I’ve asked my friend to decorate a photo frame for me so I have something made with it but apart from that, I can’t wait to see how she uses it to make some upcycled projects even prettier.
2) That was a long one for number one wasn’t it? I’ll keep number 2 quick otherwise you’ll be here all day! 😉
Right now in my slow cooker there’s a chicken and sweet potato curry bubbling away waiting for Mr Frugal to come in from work. I used some chicken that I got reduced and a couple of sweet potatoes that have seen better days so it’s a bargain tea tonight for us.
3) The ice lolly moulds are out and in full use again ready for the Summer – so far I’ve made Prosecco and Blueberry flavour for me and fruit smoothie flavour for the kids but I’ve got some ideas for some other flavours to try out this weekend.
I always get asked where I bought my ice lolly moulds – they were from Amazon and you can get your own here (affilliate link) if you want your own set.
4) We were tempted to go to the pictures last weekend as a family but we decided against it when we realised how expensive it would be. Instead we bought some popcorn and watched a film at home on Netflix!
Bet you can’t guess what we watched. 😉
5) This week we had a good hours worth of family fun with nothing more than a balloon! I can’t remember when I’ve had so much fun with the kids lately at home and we were gutted when the balloon popped!
I love that something so simple (and cheap) gave us so much fun!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our five frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peek….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio