I am loving Master Frugal’s new found love of cooking – he just found some carrots in the fridge and asked if he could make carrot cake. It would be rude to say no to a request like that, wouldn’t it?
For the carrot cake:
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 grated carrots
185g melted butter
160g brown sugar
135g s/r flour
For the tangerine buttercream:
175g icing sugar
the juice of 1 small tangerine (or if it’s really juicy just use half)
the grated zest of 1 small tangerine
- Stir together the eggs, grated carrot, bicarb, cinnamon and the nutmeg – it looks like a brown bowl of gloop at this stage!
- Next, mix in the melted butter, the flour and the sugar and mix it together until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a greased baking tray (I like to use the silicone trays) and bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- For the icing, beat the butter until it’s soft and then add the icing sugar along with the zest and juice of the tangerine. Mix it together, until it’s all combined. You might need to add a little more icing sugar if it’s too runny, which it could be depending on how juicy your tangerine was.
- When the carrot cake is completely cool, ice it with the lovely tangerine buttercream.