I’m the first to hold my hands up and admit that I HATE having my photo taken but a couple of years ago I decided to try and be on the other side of the camera a bit more to make sure that when the kids look back at photos of their childhood they see me alongside them. I do try and make an effort with them and there are now a lot more photos of me with them than there used to be!
If you’re like me and you hate having your photo taken then it’s likely that you’re rarely going to LOVE a photo of yourself especially if someone else is taking it. I much prefer to take a selfie because I have control then and can make sure that I like (as much as I’m ever going to) what I see before I click the camera button. With a selfie, there’s lots of ways you can increase your chances of being in a photo that you don’t actually hate so why not have a read of my top tips (mostly provided by my very own selfie expert Miss Frugal) and get your own selfie on…. 😉
- Stand near to a window to get good light but don’t have the sun directly behind you or you’ll just look like a dark shadow which is not a flattering look at all.
- Hold the camera slightly above your face so all of your flabby bits are hidden. If you don’t have any flabby bits or additional chins then please feel free to ignore the rest of these tips as you probably always take a great photo. 😉
- Try to look at the lens rather than at the photo itself – really difficult if you’re like me and you want to get the most flattering selfie possible.
- Take more than one photo. In fact, take as many as you can and delete all but the best one.
- Use a filter to help make your photo even more flattering – different filters can do equally amazing things to you. I experiment using the filters on Instagram with most selfies that I take but if you’re not planning on posting to Instagram then an app like Hipstamatic would be great to do this on.
- A good old selfie in the mirror is a great way to share a favourite outfit.
- Do something interesting or feel free to ‘stage’ your picture so you have something in the background that makes your selfie stand out a little bit from the all the other hundreds of selfies online every day.
- Remember to smile! Or pout as Miss Frugal loves to do.
- Get yourself a selfie stick – Google it! No self respecting selfie taker would be without one. 😉
- Don’t worry if you’re selfie doesn’t turn out as planned – they’re the best ones….
Are you ready to have a try yourself?
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.