Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
Before I start, I did share a post last Sunday about the reasons why I’ve been a bit MIA lately if you want to pop over and have a read. It probably explains a lot and definitely why I’ve gone back to basics for budgeting and money-saving.
Anyway, back to this week’s post about all the things I’ve done this week to save some money.
1) First up, I’ve cut my working from the office day down to just one week for the last couple of weeks thanks to the rising cost of fuel. It’s ridiculous how much it costs now so as much as I love going into the office for the social side of things, I’ve cut back on my days in. I can do the same job from home without the commute so I’m saving money and only doing the minimum.
It’s not my preferred way of working as I really do miss people when I work from home but I’m so conscious of the fuel costs that for now, this is OK.
I’ve also done fewer shorter drives and actually walked to the shop last weekend which is something I rarely do because I feel like it takes time I don’t have if that makes sense. I also bought less because I knew I was carrying it home so that’s a win-win for my purse.
2) Meal planning hasn’t been going that well for just me and Master Frugal as we just don’t seem to eat at regular times lately so I’ve pretty much stopped with a weekly shop for now. He’s a fussy eater at the best of times and I have been following a calorie-controlled diet (that’s a whole other post) which means that we often don’t eat the same thing. Not recommended usually but as there’s just the two of us and we can both prepare our own meals it’s not actually too bad.
I’m finding that popping to the shop on a night with no specific plan in mind for tea means that we can take full advantage of what’s in the reduced section and more often than not, we end up with some pretty good meals that we can work with.
We also have plenty of staples and a freezer of yellow stickered food so we’ve got options and at the moment, that means that our food shop is working out cheaper than it would if we were doing a full weekly shop. It is taking time that I don’t always have though so I know at some point we’re going to need to get ourselves sorted but for now, it’s doable.
3) I’ve listed a couple of things on the Facebook marketplace this week – nothing that’s going to make me a fortune but it’s better going to someone else for a few pounds than sitting in my garage gathering dust and taking up space. Only one of the things I’ve listed so far has sold but I’ll probably just bump them up the page over the weekend with a cheeky ‘still for sale’ comment and hopefully, that should get more eyes on the things I have left.
In hindsight, listing on a Wednesday night probably isn’t the best time to do it. 😂
4) I also listed some clothes and shoes on Vinted this week which again won’t make me a fortune but every little helps at the moment as we adjust to our new budget. It’s been a while since I listed anything on there but I’m hoping for a weekend of sales like the last time I did a big bulk list.
I feel like this is a bit of a boring post this week but it’s been one of those weeks!
5) I’ve just redeemed another £10 of my phone bill using Airtime Rewards which I’ll not go on about again but please do go read the post I wrote after I discovered the Airtime Rewards app as it’s literally money for nothing. I’ve earned £30 in the last couple of months which is great considering I’m doing nothing different.
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here and while I’ve got your attention, if you’re wondering why some of my posts lately are a little bit less frugal then have a read of this post. 😉
Do your future self a favour – Pin this post for later!