Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) I’ve made a batch of candy cane spoons using some crushed candy canes ready for the kids Christmas Eve boxes this year. I have some cellophane bags that I’ll pop them in ready to pop in the boxes with the usual snowman soup and reindeer dust because you’re never too old for Christmas traditions like that.
This batch didn’t turn out as well as I wanted so I’ve used the photos from when I first made them as I overfilled the mold so it just ended up like a pink mush but I have high hopes for my next batch. 😂
2) This is going to sound a bit odd but we wanted to buy some cream Nike socks for Master Frugal but we couldn’t find any other than some on Etsy that had been hand-dyed. We decided that if someone else could hand dye a pair of socks and sell them for £10 a pair then we could have a go at doing it ourselves.
So… we soaked a pair of white Nike socks in a bowl of water that we’d steeped some teabags in for half an hour beforehand and this is the result…
They looked awful when we first rinsed and dried them so we put them through the washing machine to see what that did to them and it really evened out the colour leaving them the exact colour we were after.
3) I bought a cheeky Costa Too Good To Go Magic Bag last Friday for £3 and got this little lot.
They’re not as good a value as the other magic bags you can get but for £3 it did us for tea with some homemade potato wedges and a salad (if you can call it a salad with just some cucumber, lettuce and tomatoes on it).
4) I got a reduced stir fry pack on Wednesday when I ran into the shop to get some wraps and avocado for tea so I made some quick changes to my meal plan and we had this instead. I added in some Instant Pot shredded chicken, a pack of frozen rice (cooked) and then used some sweet chilli sauce as a stir fry sauce.
We had planned to have homemade spicy chicken quesadillas so buying this meant that I didn’t buy the wraps and the avocado and also meant I didn’t need to open the jar of salsa so we’ll just plan on quesadillas next week.
5) I have found the best shop ever! It’s in a town near me and it sells things like herbs, spices, teas, baking ingredients, cleaning products and things like shampoo in whatever quantities you want to buy. You can take your own packaging along and just buy whatever you need.
I was in there for ages wandering around looking at what you could buy and a few people paid for their purchases while I was in there and they really were buying all different quantities – one person weighed out 10g of a particular spice and that was all she bought and she was made to feel just as welcome as the next person who bought loads.
I didn’t need any of the dry goods but really wanted to buy some of the shampoo and shower gels (they all smelled lovely) but I didn’t want to buy one of their bottles as I felt like that defeated the object when I had bottles at home I could use so I didn’t buy anything but I’ve put my bottles into the boot of my car ready for when I go again – which will be soon!
They literally had big barrels filled with shampoo, body wash, hand sanitiser, washing up liquid and so much more with little pumps on the top so you can fill your own bottles. It looks like even the barrels and the way they’re filled, delivered, and collected is sustainable too.
I’ve heard of shops like this but didn’t realise we had one near us and I was super impressed with the setup!
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉