Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
Before I start though, as always feel that I should say that being frugal to me is about getting the best value for our money – it’s not about doing without for us or about not having nice things. We all have different financial situations and we’re all frugal for different reasons. 😉
1) If all has gone according to plan, I’m on a plane heading to New York as this post goes live.
My week has been filled with planning and preparations for our trip which is most definitely going to have to be a super frugal tip as it was a more last minute trip than we’re used to so we had less time to save.
I have a list of things to do that are either free or pretty cheap so we’ll do a couple of big ticket things and then the rest won’t need us to spend much money at all. I find Youtube a great resource for this and over the last month, I’ve spent a good few hours on there researching it all so I have a good plan to have a lot of fun without spending much money.
2) When I popped to the shop this week to pick up a couple of things for our trip, I almost picked up the travel-size toothpaste until I spotted the price difference between that and the full-size tube. The smaller travel-sized one is £1.50 yet the full-sized tube was almost half the price at just 80p.
I would have rather had a smaller tube as we’re trying to pack as light as possible for this trip but I can find space for the larger size to save some money.
3) I had some Swagbucks credits that I was planning to save for present buying at Christmas when I usually redeem them for Amazon vouchers. I redeemed them for Paypal credits so I got £25 in my Paypal account which I transferred into my holiday spending money account to give my holiday spends a bit of a boost. 😉
Obviously, the extra spending money won’t go amiss on our budget trip but I do kind of regret redeeming my Swagbucks early as I like to see it building up through the year.
I’ll start again when I get back but in the meantime, feel free to sign up using my affiliate link to help me start building them up again. You’ll also be able to do the same as I do if you sign up and start earning Swagbucks for your Christmas – just don’t be tempted to redeem them early as I have.
4) This one wasn’t strictly this week but it kind of counts as I’ve packed the results of my little swap session for New York.
Basically, I was having a chat with one of my friends a while ago and somehow we got on to the subject of umbrellas (which she didn’t have) and hats and scarves (which I didn’t have). I had a spare umbrella so I offered her it and she gave me a spare hat and scarf in return.
They’ve come in really handy over the last couple of weeks but I suspect they’re going to be even more useful when I get to New York as it’s pretty cold there right now. They’re in the pocket in my suitcase so I can get them out as soon as we get there if I need to! My swap worked out well for me. 😉
5) We didn’t exchange gifts or cards for Valentines Day yesterday. 😉 It feels like Valentines Day is super commercialised these days and we don’t need to spend a fortune on gifts for one day of the year. Instead, we had a nice meal at home before I finished my packing for today.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing your five frugal things from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.