Five frugal things I’ve done this week:
1. The kids are currently enjoying their second week off school and although I’ve had to work a few days this week, I have managed to sneak in a few days holiday this week so we’ve been trying to have as much fun as possible for as little money as possible. We’ve done lots of free things this week like trips to the beach, trips to the park, bike rides and we’ve even taken advantage of Miss Frugal’s bargain child gym membership for lots of free swimming. We spent a lot of time on the garden over the Bank Holiday weekend so they’ve also been spending hours out there in the sun building dens and playing on the trampoline. It’s been a lovely week and we’ve spent hardly any money which has made it even lovelier.
2. The weather’s been gorgeous for most of the week which is all well and good as far as being able to spend lots of time outside but not so good for highlighting dust and dirty walls. 😉 I decided on the spur of the moment on Monday to paint my little hall because the walls just looked so grubby all of a sudden. A rummage round in the garage left me with the leftovers of a few different neutral shades of paint but I wasn’t convinced that there was enough of any particular colour to do the whole room. My solution? Pour all the different shades into one pot and stir until they’re all mixed together.
3. I bought a pack of fresh chillis reduced to 14p this week so I’ve popped them in the freezer ready to chop or grate whenever I need a bit of spice. Frozen chillis as so much easier to chop to add to meals and I love having some in the freezer and this little lot will probably last until I see some more on offer and even if I don’t, I’d still buy them at full price as they’re only about a pound a pack.
4. I had some sweet potatoes in the fridge that were leftover from making sweet potato fries for tea one night but I don’t usually cook with sweet potatoes other than to make fries or to add them to a curry so I had no idea what to do with the five small ones that I had left. As usual a quick Google search gave me more ideas than I needed so I decided to combine a few of the ideas and I made a sweet potato, red onion and feta cheese fritatta. I’ll share the recipe over the weekend because it was delicious and I’ll definitely be making it again!
5. I dyed my eyelashes at home rather than paying someone else to do them for me as I used to do and I’m really pleased with the result. The kits cost slightly less than I used to pay to get them done and this will be the third (possibly fourth) time that I’ve used the kit. It saves on Mascara too although to be fair, I rarely wear mascara as I can’t find one that stays put and I end up looking like a panda.
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.