I’m really excited about this week’s 5 frugal things post because I’m trying something a little bit different – I’m turning it into a weekly linky with the lovely Emma and Becky. We’re all going to share our five frugal things each Friday the way I always have done but we’re also going to ask you to link up your frugal and thrifty posts too.
I’ll share a bit more of that at the end of the post if you’re interested in joining in but for now, let’s get back to business with the five fabulously frugal things I’ve done this week….
1) I got some great reduced fruit and veg at the supermarket this week:
For 20p, I got a leek and potato soup mix that made 3 large portions of delicious soup in my soupmaker for lunches (1 went in the freezer). I bought two large fruit platters at 5op each which have been bagged up into smoothie mixes for the freezer and for another 40p I got a pack of strawberries and some double cream.
2) Miss Frugal’s school are VERY particular about the uniform and the tights that she wears have to be a certain either 60 or 70 denier black tights. The most comfortable ones we’ve found for her in this thickness are from New Look at £3 a pair so I was delighted when I went in last weekend to buy a couple of pairs to find that they were reduced to 99p as they were changing the packaging. I bought six pairs which should last her a while.
3) I bought Miss Frugal a top for her Birthday from the SuperDry eBay shop as I’m hoping to make her a little New York themed hamper to give her if I book us a cheeky little trip there for next year. The top was marked as factory seconds but it did say that the marks would more than likely not be noticeable so I took a chance and paid £5.79.
It arrived today and it looks to be in mint condition so I’m over the moon with my bargain designer top.
4) We’ve gone back to using our old printer as our new one kept losing connection to the internet and having to be reset up (not such a surprise as we keep it in a corner in the garage). We popped to the shop on Sunday to buy some new ink cartridges for it and Mr Frugal immediately reached for the HP version which was £20. I went for the Tesco own make version which was cheaper at £15 and smugly pointed out that my version would do exactly the same but for £5 less. He argued that it would probably be harder to fit and not as good quality but I won and we bought the cheaper one which, having installed and used it, I can confirm is just as good as the HP version. 😉
5) We’ve been having some very odd meals in our house this week in my quest to try and empty the freezer a little bit. It’s overflowing at the moment from bargains I haven’t been able to resist over the Summer but haven’t had the energy to cook while I’ve been ill so I really need to try and use some of it up. The meatball marinara we had earlier this week is a brilliant example of a freezer concoction – the fishfinger sandwiches with chicken and vegetable egg fried rice on the side didn’t go down as well. 😉
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Five Fabulously Frugal Things I’ve Done This Week Linky rules
We’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
We’d like to make this a great little community linky so it would be brilliant if you could comment on a couple of the other blog posts linked up. We’ll make sure that we comment on all posts and if you have a Pinterest friendly image then we’ll Pin your post to one of our boards too.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
We’re looking forward to seeing all your lovely thrifty posts!
Don’t forget to follow my ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our five frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peek….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio