1) I’m quite proud of my first one this week although it’s not something that I’ve personally done. When I was shopping the other day I picked up a bag of Maltesers for us to share when we were watching a film that night. Miss Frugal looked at the bag and then wandered off for a few seconds, coming back with a box of Maltesers instead. She pointed out that as the box was on special offer that I would get more for my money if I bought the box which was more sweets for the same amount of money.
2) I bought a new pack of microfibre cloths from Tesco this week – 4 for a £1 which I think is a great deal considering how versatile microfibre cloths are. I clean everything from windows to toilets with the ones I have at the moment and when I’m done, I just pop them in the washing machine and they come out as good as new. I’ve used them for years now and they’re at the stage now where they’re looking like they’ve seen better days so I thought I’d replace them when I saw these brightly coloured bargain ones.
3) One of my July goals is to focus on having as many no spend days as possible and this week I’ve had 2 of them which is great considering all the things I’ve had going on. I did my weekly shop on Sunday this week and each day since then I’ve set out to make a non-spend day but Monday I had school uniforms to buy and something that I’d forgotten from shopping the day before and yesterday I needed some fresh fruit and veg. Tuesday and Wednesday were total successes though. 😉
4) Miss Frugal really needed a haircut this week but prom season meant that her favourite hairdressers didn’t have any after school appointments all week. I asked for some recommendations and the first one I called had availability so I booked her in. At the end of the call, I asked how much it would be and they told me it would be £37 which left me speechless as the lady thanked me for calling and hung up – she only wanted a trim!! I called around the other places and managed to get her an appointment in a lovely salon for £14.00 which was much better and they did a lovely job!
When I rang the first salon back to cancel, I told them I’d got my dates mixed up so we couldn’t make it but what I really wanted to say is that I thought their prices were extortionate. 😉
5) I bought the kids a giant frisbee from the pound shop last week to go in the boot of the car in our Summer bag and we decided to use it on Sunday night when we went for a walk on the beach. It was a bit windy though and it ended up in the middle of a field of nettles. Not one to waste money by leaving a perfectly good frisbee behind, I zipped up my coat, tucked my trousers in my shoes and…. sent Mr Frugal in to get it back. 😉
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our five frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peek….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio