1) What would you do with some reduced sausages, a green pepper that’s seen better days and a packed of butternut squash soup mix that was reduced to 5p? I made a non Slimming World version of my Slimming World quiche and it was amazing. I added some chives from our herb pot, some cheese and a mix of eggs and milk and cooked it in the oven until it was set!
2) Also on my reduced shopping trip I bought the ingredients for a lovely casserole for a fraction of the normal price. The only problem was that I already had tea cooking away in the slow cooker for that night and it really needed using of freezing that day. I’m trying to avoid putting things in the freezer at the moment as I’m trying to fill them with a bit of batch cooking as my operation is on Tuesday next week so I cooked it that night on high in the slow cooker. I let it cool and then popped it in the fridge until tea time the next night when I heated it back up in the oven with some dumplings! It actually tasted nicer than usual and everyone thinks I should always cook stews and casseroles this way in future!
3) I made my own homemade room spray this week and it’s been a huge success as everyone likes the smell. I’ve left it on the counter in the hall seeing as it’s such a pretty bottle and whenever someone walks past it they have a quick spray which is great as I can always smell it. 😉
4) I’ve started on my homemade Christmas presents this week and have ordered a couple of things from eBay to help me make them. I was interested to hear what you all thought about homemade gifts yesterday when I asked if you thought they were thoughtful and thrifty or tight and cheap and it’s encouraged me to have a go at making a few more gifts this year.
5) We’re coming up to cold and flu season now that October’s almost here although to be honest, I think we’ve had more than our fair share of sniffles and bugs since the kids went back. I’ve had a go at making my own version of Vicks vaporub this week as that’s the one thing the kids can’t stand when they have a cold. It definitely helps them but it’s such a battle to get them to rub some on their chest as they say the smell is so overpowering. I have no idea if my version will work but it smells nicer so fingers crossed. It’s ready to go when the next bug hits so I’ll keep you updated and share it with you if it does work.
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
It was great to read all your five frugal things posts last week so thank you to those of you who took the time to link up a post with us. Emma and Becky and I would love to make think linky into a place to share all of our frugal ideas with each other so hopefully we’ll see even more of you linked up this week.
Five Fabulously Frugal Things I’ve Done This Week Linky rules
We’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
We’d like to make this a great little community linky so it would be brilliant if you could comment on a couple of the other blog posts linked up. We’ll make sure that we comment on all posts and if you have a Pinterest friendly image then we’ll Pin your post to one of our boards too.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
We’re looking forward to seeing all your lovely thrifty posts!
Don’t forget to follow my ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our five frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peek….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio