1) We have a vegetable patch!
It’s not a huge patch but we’ve claimed a small corner of the garden where we’ve planted carrots, sweetcorn, lettuce and spring onions in a raised bed that we built, I’ve also moved my herb pot over to that corner along with two tomato plants and a chilli plant.
2) We went to a BBQ at the weekend and decided to take something different to the usual burgers and sausages that everyone usually takes so we made a zesty green been and feta rice salad using some leftover rice and some random things from the fridge.
I’ll be sharing the recipe for this soon but I thought I’d mention it now because it came about as I made too much rice and in the past, I might have thrown the rice away but these days I try not to waste food. I cooled it down safely and made something else with it which avoided waste and made an amazing dish to take with us to the BBQ.
3) I’ve baked a few times this week so we have plenty of snacks in the house for the kids to eat during the day as they always seem to be hungry in the holidays. Even Master Frugal has been at it, cooking us his amazing chocolate brownies!
Baking snacks is so much cheaper than buying them and balanced with a full fruit bowl that they can help themselves to anytime they want, the odd cake and brownie aren’t going to do any harm.
4) I went to the car boot sale last weekend and got some amazing bargains – unused Urban Decay and Benefit makeup for 20p each, a couple of board games we’ve been after and a fake (I presume) Mulberry purse for Miss Frugal which she is over the moon about!
5) Lunches this week have been mostly homemade soup because I’m still off work sick and that’s been the easiest thing to make for us all. I’ve been using my soup maker and we’ve had everything from leek and potato soup to spicy butternut squash and sweet potato soup which is my all time favourite!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our five frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peek….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio