Five frugal things I’ve done this week:
1. After our visit to a Lavender farm this week I’ve used the lavender I came away with to make lavender sugar. I’ll write a post up about how I did it but it’s super simple really and once the lavender has infused itself into the sugar I’m going to bake with it – Lavender Shortbread is the first thing on my list!
2. We were away last weekend and we had some gorgeous weather which was a surprise as we were expecting a pretty poor weekend weather wise. The sun was shining though and as I’d been expecting poor weather, I’d left the sun tan lotion at home in my attempts to travel light and not take things we didn’t need. I won’t do that again as I ended up having to buy sun tan lotion which is one thing that I will always buy the brand that I know can protect my two as much as they need it because they genuinely burn so easily. I buy Riemann P20 in Factor 50+ which I’ve seen in some shops cost upwards of £20 but after a quick search online while the kids were safely indoors in the swimming pool out of the sun, I managed to find it in Superdrug for £13 which is less than I expected to pay for it. Another quick search helped me find the nearest Superdrug and within half an hour I was back with the bargain sun tan lotion. It just goes to show that you can save on the more expensive purchases if you take the time to shop around.
3. With the weather being so nice last weekend, the kids were constantly thirsty but buying drinks out and about would have cost us a fortune. I bought some five packs of Capri Sun from the pound shop before we went and never left the apartment without having at least four in my bag. Our fridge was so full of them and bottles of water that we could barely fit anything else in but they saved us an absolute fortune in drinks while we were out and about.
4. Is it too early to mention the C word? I’m dying to tell you that I’ve done lots of Christmas shopping this week and I’ve also bought Miss Frugal’s Birthday present for her 13th Birthday in two weeks. I don’t like to leave it until the last minute and there are lots of sales on right now in town so I took some money that I’d saved up and some vouchers that I had and I had a lovely shopping expedition on my own.
I suspect it’s too early to share my Christmas shopping plan of action with you but be warned, you’ll be seeing it in the not too distant future. 😉
5. The kids both wanted a carton Ben and Jerrys ice cream this week and I can’t say I blame them – it was banana ice cream with chocolate swirls and sounded delicious but at £4 for a small carton I politely declined their request and explained that I could easily do better. I bought three packets of Angel Delight for a pound and used the chocolate flavour one and the banana flavour one to make m own version. I popped the bowls in the freezer for half an hour so it was really cold and then served it with a few Maltesers.
They loved it although I think they’re secretly craving the Ben and Jerrys.
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peak….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.