Five frugal things I’ve done this week:
1. We went to the car boot sale last weekend to try and find some tennis rackets for the kids to play Tennis with over the Summer. I usually buy some from the pound shop but as they’re a bit older this year, I thought spending a bit more would be beneficial so we headed off to the boot sale. We managed to buy two great Wilson rackets for £1 each which was a great bargain – one of them is a Venus and Serena Williams edition which is £20+ online to buy. We also bought some badminton rackets from a couple of different stall holders and ended up paying £2 altogether for the four we bought. Add some shuttlecocks and balls from the £ shop and we’ve got hours of fun lined up for £6!
2. My lovely next door neighbour got a new garden set this week and was about to throw out her old set which included two benches, a lovely big table and two garden chairs but she offered it to me instead so now we have a new garden set as well as our old set which is all going to get a makeover this weekend ready for the hours we plan to sit outside for this Summer.
3. We had a BBQ last week end with our neighbours and we did it as cheaply as we could – we had bargain buns that had been reduced to less than half price, meat and chicken that we bought reduced through the week and froze ready to get out again the night before the BBQ to defrost ready to cook. We even bought a cheap bottle of peach schnapps to drink instead of Archers and you know what? It tasted exactly the same – especially after the 1st one!
It’s definitely worth stocking up on BBQ food when you see it reduced because (a) the cost can easily add up when you’re buying it all full price in one go and (B) the food is usually is short supply on a sunny day!
4. I’ve finally learned not to buy clothes for Miss Frugal because I *think* she’ll like them. I probably have about a 50% success rate with buying clothes for her when she’s not there – some things I get just right but some things she just looks at in disgust. I often buy her things from the boot sale because they’re cheap without knowing for definite if she’s going to like them but I think ‘it’s only cheap, why not?’. So this week, if I saw something, I texted her a photo 😉 I was gutted when she replied to tell me that she didn’t like this skirt! It was beautiful and such good quality for just £1!
5. We have a couple of fans in our house and one of them is set to blow on me when I’m in bed because I sleep so much better when it’s on although I think it could be the noise as much as the cool air. Because it’s on so much, it does seem to collect dust but lately it’s been looking a bit (actually a lot) grubby and it didn’t seem as fast as it was before. I put the speed down to old age (of the fan, not me) but I had no excuse for the dirt so I unscrewed the metal cage around the fan blades and gave it a good wipe. I also took the blades off and gave the mechanism a quick wipe. It’s not only much cleaner, it’s also much more efficient now!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peak….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.