1) Miss Frugal is going out for afternoon tea with her friends at the end of the month and they’ve all been talking about what they’re going to wear for weeks. I promised Miss Frugal a new dress as she doesn’t really have any nice dresses that fit her anymore after a little growth spurt over the Summer – she’d quite happily wear all of her favourites as they do fit her but they’re a lot shorter than they used to be so I thought a new dress was definitely in order.
She went shopping with her friends and couldn’t find anything she liked for under £25 which was the budget I gave her so when she came home, we went online and looked at Boohoo.com where she found about six that she liked. We narrowed it down to two and went to order them but just before I entered my payment details we clicked away and closed the Boohoo screen down as we’d read that Boohoo often send a discount code to your email address if you do this. Sure enough, two days later we got a 15% discount code to use which saved us just short of £4.
2) One of the things I miss about being more frugal is the chai latte treat that I used to buy myself every week from the Costa in my local Tesco when I did my shopping. I stopped buying them as a weekly treat when I worked out that they were costing me just short of £200 a year altogether and as much as I’m a fan of treats, there are things I’d rather treat myself too so I stopped with the weekly Costa. Last week when I was doing my shopping I was looking for a random tea that Miss Frugal was after and I came across a tub of chai powder in the tea aisle for not much more than £2. I bought it in the hope it would be similar to the Costa chai latte but I didn’t expect it to taste exactly the same like it actually did.
It’s amazing and when it’s made with milk (rather than half milk, half water) and frothed with my £2 Asda milk frother then it tastes just like a Costa chai latte. I can’t tell you exactly but looking at the size of the tub, it’s going to make 8-10 drinks which makes it a LOT cheaper than going to Costa!
3) Master Frugal was after an England football shirt for Christmas but I kept putting off buying it as they’re £40+ which is ridiculous if you ask me. I managed to find one in Sports Direct this week for £20 but it had a little dust on it so I asked if they had another one. They didn’t but they offered 20% off the one with the dust which made it £16. I bought it, wiped the dust off when I got home and now have a bargain football shirt wrapped up ready for Christmas.
I begrudged paying full price when they’re probably changing the shirt again soon but I’m happy with it at £16!
4) For the first time in a while, I’ve managed to completely stick to our meal plan. It’s not been easy as there’s been a few nights where I haven’t had the energy to cook but Miss Frugal took over to give me a hand. Meal planning definitely saves us a fortune and when I can’t do it we always end up spending more than we should.
5) I couldn’t not mention Black Friday today could I? I have a few things on my shopping list that I suspected would be included in the sales today so I left them until today to buy them just in case. I was right and saved £65 on two items which is brilliant! I’m not buying anything else. Honest!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Five Fabulously Frugal Things I’ve Done This Week Linky rules
We’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio