1) I’ve finally finished my garden table and chairs which started out as a tatty set that we’ve had for the last few Summers. I bought some Valspar garden paint from B&Q and painted the table and two benches with that pot and then I bought a few of the tester sized pots to paint the chairs. I might be biased but I think it looks amazing!
The paint goes on really well and much better than the tin of paint I bought from Cuprinol which I bought in Ivory originally to do the chairs. It just wouldn’t cover the first chair despite a couple of coats which is fine as it was a dark wood that I was painting but the Valspar goes on great. I didn’t use a primer (although I probably should have done to make it last longer) and I didn’t even sand the furniture down before I started.
2) Master Frugal loves playing Fifa 16 on is Xbox One and regularly enjoys a game with his friends online. A new version comes out every year and he’s already eagerly awaiting Fifa 17 to see what amazing new things he’ll be able to do but the games aren’t cheap. In the past we’ve taken games back that he no longer plays with to get money off the new games he’s after but he doesn’t actually have that many games these days as when he does play on it then it’s usually one of about three games he plays.
Because we want him to have the game on the day it comes out like all of his friends seem to get every year we’ve been in to pre-order it this week and paid a deposit. Mr Frugal will then pop in every month on payday to pay a little bit more so that our half is paid for in time for release and Master Frugal will be saving up a little of his pocketmoney each week to pay for the other half.
3) We had to dress up 70s style for work this week and most people were going all out spending £15+ to hire a costume. I remembered that I’d seen some 70s inspired patterns on the Summer range at Asda so instead of spending a fortune on an outfit I’d literally only wear once before I had to give it back I bought a gorgeous beach cover up which I wore over a vest top with a skirt I’ve had for years. I’ll wear the top again with a vest top and leggings through the Summer so I’m pleased with my seventies style purchase.
4) I’ve been good at making sure we all (with the exception of Miss Frugal) have packed lunches to take to work / school this week and have been organised enough to make sure that they’re all made the night before which is no mean feat when you’re as tired as I’ve been this week.
It really does save money when we take lunches rather than buy them and it’s healthier too which is a bonus!
5) I bought some gorgeous flowers from the shop this week for 30p a bunch but when I got home I realised that I’d loaned my only vase (I know, how do I only have one) to a friend. Rather than waste the flowers or go back out to reclaim my vase, I used a mason jar cup instead and I actually think it looks better than them being in a vase.
I love fresh flowers but I wouldn’t have wanted to pay £6 for my two bunches! You can usually find reduced flowers in the fruit section at your local supermarket at the end of the day x
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our five frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peek….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio