Have you seen the ‘On This Day’ app on Facebook that sends you a message every day to remind you of what you were doing on the same day in previous years? I love the idea of it and the statuses and photos that I’ve posted in years gone by regularly make me smile as they remind me of moments I’d all but forgotten.
There have been a few lately though that have brought back memories of some of my less than brilliant parenting moments and I thought I’d sacrifice my parenting pride and share a few of them here with you today…
Please try not to judge me, especially for number 1 and 6! 😉
1) There was an incident in Asda once when Master Frugal was a toddler when I somehow managed to leave him in his trolley and walk on pushing another toddler in their trolley! I got to the end of the aisle before the Mother ran after me frantically thinking I was kidnapping her child! In all fairness, Master Frugal was completely oblivious and was still sat good as gold where I’d left him so at least he won’t have abandonment issues (well not from this parent fail anyway but I’m not sure if I can say the same of number 6).
2) Then there’s the time that I thought toddler Master Frugal was crying in his bedroom upstairs because he was upset I’d sent him to bed – turns out it was more to do with the fact that he’d fallen out of bed and was wedged in his toy box!
3) There’s also been more than once occasion that we’ve been so caught up in what we’ve been doing on a night that I’ve forgotten to feed the kids their tea. I’ve then sent them to bed as normal and only realised my mistake when one (or both) of them has come downstairs to tell me that they were hungry.
4) And while we’re on the subject of food, I can’t leave out the countless times that I’ve burnt tea because I’ve been distracted by something or other!
5) I’ve told the kids at least once that the swimming baths were closed just because I didn’t fancy going swimming. It’s a shame they don’t fall for that one anymore.
6) There may have been a time when I picked one child up from school and didn’t wait for the other one as I forgot that football practice had been cancelled. I got all the way home before a phone call from the school had me rushing back to school to pick up a very forlorn looking Master Frugal who probably will have abandonment issues from this one.
7) I have no recollection of this one but I was rudely reminded of it by Facebook last week and instantly felt awful although Miss Frugal thinks it’s hilarious. I think the comment that Miss Frugal wrote in here reading journal when she was in year 5 is pretty self explanatory!
My favourite part of his is the comment Master Frugal added about her reading:
8) This one is less of a parenting fail and more of a stroke of genius if you ask me but Miss Frugal strongly disagrees. Once when Miss Frugal was having a sleepover, I suspected that they weren’t going to settle well so I put all the clocks forward an hour and a half so they thought it was later than it really was. By the time it was 10 o clock, they thought it was half eleven and I could reasonably tell them that once more noise would mean the sleepover would be cancelled! Shame I can’t do that these days….
What about you, what’s your favourite less than great parenting moment?
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also find me on BlogLovin, Yummly and Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.