Do you ever have a day where you could do with a little boost by putting some awesome into your day? Me too.
If I feel like that on a day when I’m at work then I have a top that I call my boost top because not only is it a happy bright yellow colour but it also makes me feel good when I wear it. People (well, the girls) know that it’s my boost top and they laugh about it with me but it really does work.
But what can you do to make your day a bit brighter if you don’t have a boost top? Here’s 10 ideas for you….
1) OK, number 1 is actually going to be to go out and buy a boost top. Or handbag, or pair of shoes or anything that you can pull out of your wardrobe on a morning when you could do with a bit of awesome that you know is going to make you feel good. Those of you who are here for frugal tips need to just shut your ears for a minute while I tell everyone else that they should choose something a little bit more special than they normally would – a designer you like or a more expensive fabric or style than you’d usually go for. It’s not going to give you a boost if it’s just everyday normal is it?
2) I know this one is a bit cheesey but honestly a smile costs nothing and will genuinely make you feel a bit happier even if you just smile to yourself. Smile at someone else who you don’t know and you’ll go to a whole other level of awesomeness as well as making them feel warm and fluffy.
3) Say something nice to someone – tell them you love their outfit, that their hair is looking good or that you appreciate something they did. By making them feel good, you can’t help but feel good yourself.
4) Listen to some music that makes you happy and ignore what other people say about your taste. When Mr Frugal picked me up from hospital last month to bring me home, he brought with him a CD he’d bought for me because he knew that I used to love the film when I was younger and that it would make me happy to listen to it. He brought me the Sound of Music soundtrack and oh my goodness, does it make me happy to listen to it as an adult. It’s so corny but it really does make me smile when I’m feeling down and it’s probably one of the best gifts ever because of the thought behind it and the happy feelings I get when I listen to it. I used to love the film that much that I watched it every day for an entire Summer when I was younger.
5) Go through all the photos on your phone to remind yourself of some of the fun things you’ve done lately and choose a couple to print out. Print some happy memories out on your printer at home or at one of those photo kiosks at the supermarket and stick them on the front of your fridge. Print some extra out for the people who are in the photos with you and give them a copy to make them smile too.
6) Do something you love – even just for a few minutes. For me, that’s taking photos so I’ll simply pick up my camera and get in the car to drive to the woods or to the beach to take photos. If the kids want to come then that’s great but if not, it’s just me and the dog which is just as much fun. I just photo what I see that captures my attention. More recently while I’ve not been well I’ve been painting a little bit which makes me feel happy even though I totally can’t paint to save my life.
7) Phone someone you love or who you haven’t spoke to in a while and have a good old catch up. At the risk of sounding like a 1990’s TV ad, it really is good to talk.
8) Pamper yourself a little bit by having a bubble bath in peace or shutting yourself away for a while to have a quiet read. I’ve learned the best time of day to have some me time is right after tea when Mr Frugal is tidying the kitchen and the kids go hide in their rooms to avoid being given a job to do. I can easily squeeze in half an hour there to myself and I always feel better for it.
9) Spend more time cooking so your meals are a bit more special – you don’t need to spend more money but you probably need to spend some time searching for some new meal ideas. Make mealtimes more fun for everyone and you’ll feel great!
10) Laugh until you cry! Miss Frugal and I have got into the habit of watching a few random Youtube videos on a night and every now and again we come across one that’s so funny that it makes us cry with laughter. This one is our favourite….
It makes me happy every time I watch it and makes me laugh almost as much as he does.
So there you have my ten ways to add some awesome into your day!
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also find me on BlogLovin, Yummly and Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.