For this week’s #MealPlanningMonday, I thought I’d not only share our week’s meals with you but also one of the meals we’ll be having – Sausage and Pesto Pasta Bake.
First up, let’s go through the meal plan itself…
Monday – I got a couple of packets of reduced price Heck chicken sausages last week (£1.42 per pack) and used one to make Sausage and Pesto Pasta which is what I’m making again tonight. It was so tasty that I couldn’t wait to use the second pack of sausages to make it again. See below for the recipe.
Wednesday – Egg, chips and beans are on the menu tonight because I wanted something super simple.
Thursday – I’m pretty sure that one of the freezers has a batch cooked lasagne in it somewhere so I’m going to have a good hunt through and hopefully we can have that tonight. I’ll be making homemade cheesy garlic bread to go with it too as that always goes down well and if I remember to stop at the shop, I may even do a salad too.
Friday – A mini gammon roast dinner always goes down well so I thought we’d celebrate the end of the week with that.
Saturday – Obviously Saturday means that it’s Instant Pot Chicken and Rice night. 😉 We have some cajun spices in ready to go with this week’s dish so I’ll probably add some extra peppers in or whatever else I have in that’s cajun-y.
Sunday – I’m considering making a fish pie on Sunday as I have some cod, salmon and prawns in the freezer but I’m just not sure how it will go down.
How to make Sausage and Pesto Pasta Bake
500g dried pasta
1 jar pesto (or you could make your own)
1 pack chicken sausages
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red onion, chopped
1 ball mozzarella
A handful of grated cheese
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Before you start cooking – bring a large pan of salted water to the boil ready for the pasta and chop each sausage up into quarters.
- Boil the pasta for 8-9 minutes so it’s al dente.
- While your pasta’s boiling, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil (or Frylight if you prefer) in a frying pan or wok and brown the sausages for 3-4 minutes.
- One the sausages have started to go brown, add in the peppers and the red onion and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, reserving about 100ml of the cooking water.
- Add the jar of pesto to the sausage mix and give it a good mix.
- Pour the sausage and pasta mix into the pasta pan, add in the reserved cooking water and stir it all together.
- Spoon it into a baking a dish.
- Tear the mozzarella into small pieces and spread it around on the top of the pasta.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of this mix.
- Pop it in the oven for 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. You can find out more about me here.
Pin – Sausage and Pesto Pasta Bake for later: