After my moan at the weekend, I’ve spent this week trying to get on top of things and get us all more organised as well as taking full advantage of the gorgeous weather we’ve been having.
This next month is the busiest of the year for us, as it is for lots of you. We’ve got end of term fun days, talent shows, school trips, transition days at the senior school for Miss Frugal, leaver assembly, parents nights, residential trips with the school….
I could go on but I won’t bore you too much – all you really need to know is that we have a LOT going on! But this week, we actually haven’t had too much going on so we’ve been making the most of the lovely weather we’ve been having and getting out in the fresh air as much as we possibly can and we’ve discovered a new favourite place – the beach.
Which is probably not much of a surprise seeing as we live less than five minutes from it, but actually until recently we rarely went there. Maybe we took it for granted because it’s literally right there or maybe we just didn’t think of it as a fun place to visit as both kids (and us) hate the fact that for about a week after we’d find sand everywhere!
But this week, we’ve had a blast at the beach – paddling in the sea, making sandcastles and eating the obligatory ice creams and I’m pretty sure we’ll be there frequently over the Summer! The fact that we’ve discovered a new found love of the beach made me think about what else we’re missing out on and I bet we’re not the only ones, I bet there are some gorgeous places to visit near where you all live that you haven’t been to in years!
So why don’t you join us in our mini quest to make most of the area we live in? We don’t live in a massive town but we are lucky enough to live in a lovely little seaside town that has lots of different things to see and do – it’s just a case of getting out and actually doing them….
Here’s our plan:
1. We’re going to visit a different park every week until we’ve visited every playground and park that we know about in town.
2. We’re going to visit a different museum in our town every week until we’ve visited each one.
3. We’re going to walk somewhere different each night when we take the dog out.
4. I know there’s a good few geocaching routes around here so we’re going to try and do a couple of those over the next few weeks to explore a little bit more.
5. It’s a perfect time of year for bike rides and picnics so every now and again, we’ll go on a bike ride after school with a picnic tea.
6. We’re going to make sure that we keep our Summer bag in the car at all times along with the scooters so we’re ready for adventure any time – we do this anyway to be fair but I thought I’d include it as I’ll be telling you all about our Summer bag this weekend.
7. Places like the animal rescue centre, the war memorials in town and and the nature walk near us are all worth a visit so we’ll be there over the next few weeks.
8. We have a great leisure centre and children’s centre that have so much going on but apart from swimming, we don’t take nearly enough advantage. We also have a cricket club, a football team, tennis courts and a rugby club that the kids might enjoy.
9. We have a skate park but I also know of a couple of places that have got some excellent skate ramps so I’ll be taking the kids to them as well. We also have a basketball court right behind where we live but we’ve only been once!
10. I’m going to make sure that we’re not influenced too much by the weather – you can have as much fun in the rain as you can in the sun.