Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) There’s been a dress that I’ve wanted from Laura Ashley for a good six months or so but I couldn’t bear the thought of paying £70 for a dress so even though I wanted it, I left it on the rack every time I saw it. Anyway, last weekend, I walked past Laura Ashley and thought I’d just nip in on the off chance that the dress was in the sale and I hit the spotty dress jackpot.
Not only did they only have one left – that one was in my size and it was half price, with an additional amount off in the closing down sale with an extra 20% off as a one-day-only sale! My £70 dress cost me…. £11.20!!!
You can’t see in the picture but the dress has green spots on the sleeves, pink spots on the body part and yellow sports on the belt and all the edges. I’m probably not selling it too well and it’s not as flattering on me as it is on the model in the picture but I’m over the moon!
2) For some random reason, I got a notification from eBay to let me know that I had a £5 voucher waiting in my account as a gift from them to me. 😁
I used it to buy a Fat Face dress as I have a couple of a similar style from the outlet shop near where we live and I love how they fit. There was no minimum spend so I bought one for £7.59 with P+P of £3.50 so I got a dress which looks like it’s in amazing condition from the photo and the description and only paid £7.00 for it. They’re £46.00 in the shop at full price and even in the outlet shop they’re £29.00 so this was a total bargain.
It doesn’t look like much on the hanger but I know the style is really flattering and guess what else it has that should be compulsory on all dresses? Pockets! Who doesn’t love a dress with pockets?
3) I know my first two have involved spending money, even though they were proper bargains so I’ll share a grown-up one for this next one. 😇
I’ve mentioned over the last couple of months that I’ve been doing overtime at work and this week has been no different but I wanted to talk about the fact that I was doing so much overtime this last few months. I’m super lucky that not only do I have a job that’s kept me busy during the lockdown, it’s also a job where I’ve had the opportunity to earn extra money with unlimited overtime which actually means that I’m in a better financial position than I was three months ago.
I have the option to work at home or in the office but I prefer the office as I’m much more productive so my general working day has involved an hour at the end of the day in the office and then sometimes an hour or two later at night when I’m at home. I’ve also worked every Saturday for the last few months. I do enjoy my job so it hasn’t even felt too much other than the fact that I’ve really missed blogging as much as I used to!
4) I made a new meal in the Instant Pot this week which I’m calling a chowder but I’m not sure if that’s right because it was made using sweetcorn, potatoes and leftover gammon. I also made my amazing Instant Pot Chicken and Rice using a feeble looking pepper and some leftover Instant Pot shredded chicken.
I’m really feeling the Instant Pot love lately and I’d love to share more recipes but I only have time to do one meal a week that I can spend enough time on making look pretty and well presented enough to share so it’s going to take me a good while to get through all the new ones that we’ve been trying lately.
5) I also did some batch cooking at the weekend and made a huge pot of my lovely slow cooker mince and onions which has been frozen in portions – one big portion ready to make a cottage pie for tea one night, a slightly smaller portion to go with some Yorkshire puddings, roasties and veg and then a couple of individual portions for things like jacket potato toppings and things like that.
I made it with some mince that I bought from the reduced section a while ago and bulked it out with some Quorn mince and a handful or two of red lentils – trust me, no-one has ever noticed when I’ve done that and it makes it go further.
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 30,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.