Every week I share five frugal things that I’ve done during that week just to show you that the small things you do all add up to a great frugal lifestyle where you can learn to live a fabulously frugal life.
1) I love chopped pineapple but it’s not the cheapest thing in the world to buy when you buy the ready prepared fresh pineapple chunks so this week, I decided to have a go at chopping my own up into chunks.
I know, it’s not rocket science that it’s cheaper to prep your own but for some reason, I just always thought it was too much hassle to bother so I just didn’t. This week though, I bought a huge pineapple for a pound and had a go at chopping it up. It was a bit messy and not the easiest task but I did manage to get about double the amount of pineapple that I usually buy for about half the price so I’m classing this as a win.
2) I had some bananas that were past their best and needed either using up or binning last Monday so I decided to do something a bit different….
I made some banana flapjacks which I’m not going to share the recipe for as they weren’t really a great success as far as flapjacks go but served with some yogurt and eaten with a spoon they were an absolute win. I find that flapjacks are more luck than skill as they’re either too crumbly, rock-solid, or perfection – it’s like flapjack roulette when I take the tray out of the oven.
3) I also had some sad-looking peppers that needed using up so I decided to make stuffed peppers to get them used up.
I used couscous, Quorn mince, red onions, garlic, chili, and sun-dried tomatoes for the stuffing and they were really nice. A bit dry though so I think I need to make a few tweaks for next time! I think I’ll try with rice rather than couscous maybe.
4) I went to my local farmers market last Sunday and bought a few bits and bobs – one thing I bought was a new chilli plant which the lovely man who took a good five minutes out of his day to tell me how to take care of it told me would give me chillis between now and October.
It was only £3.50 and man said it would be ‘prolific’ as it was fused or something like that – I’m not very planty but I don’t have a chilli plant this year and I’ve come to the end of last year’s crop which I popped in the freezer every time one was ready.
5) With the heat this last week, we’ve been walking the dogs much later in the day which, as well as the cooler temperatures, means fewer people out and about which in turn means more running about for the dogs as I’m more likely to let them off their lead when it’s quieter. They’ve both got selective hearing when it comes to being recalled so I rarely let them off unless it’s super quiet.
Increased doggy freedom at the beach and the park does come with it’s own issues though – including one dog who’s terrified of the sea but apparently has no fear when it comes to the pond at the park and a second dog who despite his tiny size turns into a lion when he’s off his lead barking at everything from people to the waves in the sea.
The point of this story is that wet and dirty dogs are playing havoc with my carpets so this weekend, I’m going to be getting the carpet cleaner out of the garage and giving my carpets a good old clean. In the meantime, I made a batch of my homemade shake and vac to give them a freshen up until I can really clean them.
It obviously didn’t do anything to the dirt my two little delights have dragged in somehow but at least the carpets smell lovely in the meantime. 😂
Come over and join our fab Facebook group – Spend Less, Live Better! We’ve hit 35,000 members in the group now so it’s a great place to be and I’ve got Miss Frugal in there helping me out now.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing anything you’ve done that’s been thrifty or frugal from your week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the Frugal Friday linky at the bottom of this post.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with the five frugal things linky by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter or BlogLovin and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. If you’re interested, you can find out more about me here. 😉