1) We renewed our family railcard earlier in the week when we decided at the last minute to travel to Edinburgh airport by train rather than drive. The family railcard took the price of the rail travel down from £220 to £120 so it was definitely a worthwhile purchase, especially considering we need to travel by rail to Gatwick in October.
We love travelling by train as it’s so much more relaxing than driving and we have much more space – and we don’t have to stop every half an hour when one of us needs a wee!
2) I had a lovely wander around the charity shops last weekend and I managed to pick up a brand new bikini for Miss Frugal for 99p and a lovely long floaty Roman Originals skirt for me for £2.99. I’ll hopefully share some pictures with you from when we’re away.
3) There was no point doing a meal plan for this week seeing as we were travelling to Edinburgh on Tuesday to catch our flight to Milan first thing Wednesday morning so we had cheeky fake-away chicken chow mein on Monday night while we played Jenga and dominoes (I know, when did Bank Holidays get so wild) and then for tea on Tuesday I used £15 of my club card vouchers to exchange for £60 restaurant vouchers so we could eat out in Edinburgh without thinking too much about the cost.
4) We made some homemade lemonade this week using some lemons we got reduced at the shop. I’ve shared our recipe for homemade mint lemonade in the past and it’s basically just that without the mint.
I think I’ll probably share the recipe with you all again at some point because it tastes AMAZING!
5) Remember me telling you about the mint plant I rescued from the reduced section of the supermarket last week? It cost me 19p as it as on it’s last legs but I brought it back to life and it’s now flourishing and about to take over the kitchen windowsill I think. I’ve used it this week to make another batch of pea and mint soup for the freezer, some virgin mojitos for a gathering on bank holiday Monday and even some matcha, mint and ginger iced tea.
The iced tea is definitely an acquired taste but Miss Frugal is hooked on it – good job I have so much mint. 😉
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post – well, there may be a linky at the end of this post if I can log in from Milan and add it. If not, just pop over to Becky or Emma’s blog and they’ll have the linky up and running! 😉
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.