1) My phone contract finally ended last week so I called EE to cancel it as I was planning to move over to Giff Gaff who do unlimited data (6GB at 4G and after that it’s slower speed) for £20 and 4GB for £15. We also wanted to cancel Mr Frugal’s as he never got around to doing it last year – he says he forgot as I was unwell but I suspect its more to do with the fact that he wanted to stay with EE as the coverage with them is really good where we are. Anyway, we cancelled them both, got our PAC codes to move over to Giff Gaff and ordered our new Giff Gaff sim cards. Then we got a call from EE asking what they could do to make us want to stay so I told them we wanted no contract and the same price as Giff Gaff – they gave us no contract and 8GB data for £16.99 a month which we’re really pleased with. Between our two contracts we’ve saved £36 and we’re now contract free!
2) I bought some fresh coriander and fresh mint from the supermarket this week reduced to 9p so I’ve bagged them up and put them in the freezer ready to take out an pop in the soup maker when I need some. Looks like I’ll be having carrot and coriander soup and my favourite pea and mint soup for lunches next week.
While we’re on the subject of bagging things up for the freezer, these IKEA sandwich bags I have are brilliant – reusable, really sturdy and seal brilliantly. I have the smaller size (in the photo) and a bigger size too and they’re worth a trip to IKEA just for them. I can’t remember how much they were but they weren’t expensive and they’re well worth whatever I paid.
3) I made the most amazing tomato soup with ingredients from the fridge that needed using up. I threw the last couple of tomatoes, some spring onions, some cloves of garlic and some chilli into the soup maker. I added some vegetable stock and two tins of tomatoes and turned it on and 21 minutes later I had the tastiest tomato soup ever!
4) We cancelled out English Heritage membership this week which makes me a bit sad but it was the right thing to do. We’ve had so many great days out with our English Heritage membership and it’s paid for itself many times over in the two years that we’ve had it but it’s not something we can see ourselves using as much in the next year unfortunately. We’ve visited all the properties within an hours drive of our house so many times that when I suggest them now, I can’t get any interest from anyone but the dog! Honestly it’s been such a great way to spend time together, learn a little of our country’s history and get outdoors more for the bargain price of about £8 a month but even at that price, it’s not worth it if we’re not going to be using it.
5) Car boot sale season is back on! We’re planning to have one of our own soon and there’s a pile of clothes in the garage and some other random things that I’ve been saving for when we have one but in the meantime, we’re enjoying our Sunday morning wanders around our local boot sale. We don’t buy much as we’re trying to buy less ‘stuff’ but we do like to look out for a good bargain – these were my favourite car boot sale bargains from last weekend….
Brand new Sally Hansen, OPI and Maybelline nail varnishes for 50p each and they’re all lovely colours that I can wear for work.
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also find me on BlogLovin, Yummly and Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.