Five frugal things I’ve done this week:
1. I’ve been wanting to visit the South Lakes Zoo for ages as we’ve heard some great things about it but it’s a good few hours drive away from us so we’ve never actually made it there yet. Every now and again though I do have a quick search to see if there are any deals around to get the entry cheaper as that would help convince Mr Frugal that it would be worth the long drive. I managed to find a great deal this week which offers entry for the four of us plus some animal feed for each of us for the bargain price of £15 which seems like a great deal for a family day out at the zoo. The voucher is valid until the end of June and I can’t wait to go. It’s here if anyone else is interested although you might need to keep an eye on it as it keeps saying sold out and then a day or so later there are more tickets available.
2. Miss Frugal has asked if I can help her sort her room out as she feels like it needs a bit of a re-vamp. I’ve explained to her that I will but that we don’t have much money spare to do it after an MOT fail this week costing more than we thought. To pay for it, she’s having a car boot sale this weekend and getting rid of lots of things which will not only make the money she needs for paint etc but will also have the added bonus of de-cluttering massively. She’s sweet talked her Dad into painting the three walls in her room that are currently magnolia and is in the process of deciding on a colour. We have tester patches up at the moment that range from pale pink to lilac and from turquoise to green!
We’ve been making a few little bits and bobs to go in there when the walls are painted this week and this is a sneak peak of one of the wall art pictures that we’ve made so far….
3. I haven’t had the heating on at all! This might not seem like a big thing but it’s actually been pretty cold here earlier this week and I’ve been tempted once or twice. It’s almost the start of Summer so there’s no way I’m going to put the heating on although I have snuggled under a blanket on the settee more than once.
4. We had a bit of an impromptu trip to Newcastle last week on the train – for no other reason than we were all off and we wanted to do something different. I saved a good few pounds using my family railcard which we buy every year because it regularly saves us money but we also saved at dinner time by finding a small Tescos and a Greggs and buying a bit of a picnic rather than actually eating out. We ate in the park which was lovely and gave us chance to have a nice relax half way through the day.
5. I’ve been having a look around for a new Internet provider this week. We’re currently with BT who aren’t the cheapest but we went with them last year as they were planning on installing the superfast broadband in our street but they ended up starting installation on the newer part of the estate that’s still being built so ours got put back. And put back. And put back again! The BT broadband doesn’t seem to be able to cope with more than two of us being online so we’ve been struggling lately which causes a few battles over who should turn off! It turns out that Virgin have now installed the superfast broadband and to move to them we’d only be getting a higher speed broadband, we’ll also be saving money every month!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.