1. I’ve up-cycled a cake board into a memo board this week which saved me throwing away the cake board! You can have a read about how I did it here if you fancy having a go yourself.
2. We’re now into our second week of feeling under the weather but I’m pleased to say that we have (almost) stuck to our meal plan which is no mean feat when you have as little energy as I’ve had this week! There was one night when I replaced what we had planned for dippy egg and soldiers because I just couldn’t face cooking (or actually leaving the sofa for more than two minutes to be honest) but for the most part we’ve struggled through.
3. I went to the Festival of Thrift last Sunday with Miss Frugal and had an AMAZING day! The Festival of Thrift is held in Darlington every year and this was our second time visiting – it just seems to get bigger and better every year. I’ll be sharing lots more about it in a post shortly but one thing that we did do that was very thrifty was the workshop we took to learn how to make pretty floral headbands out of fabric scraps. Again, I’ll be sharing more about that class soon but here’s a little sneak peak of one of the flowers we made:
4. We finally found somewhere local to us where we can go blackberry picking! We picked a few of the ripe ones with the intention of making some sort of crumble but I appear to have lost the bag we filled while we were walking around the forest! We’ve made plans to go back soon though and this time I will definitely not lose our pickings!
5. Miss Frugal has asked for something for Christmas which isn’t cheap but I’m happy to buy it for her as it would be her main present and I know she would get a lot of use out of it. I’ve been looking around for the best deals for it but the cheapest I could get it for was £179.00 which is a lot and would mean that she wouldn’t get much else. To try and get a good deal, I set up a search on eBay so I got an email anytime anyone listed one of these items. Over the past few months there’s been a few for around the £100 mark but they haven’t been in new condition so I’ve left them because although I don’t have a problem with buying used items, for a Christmas present I wanted it to be as new as possible.
Last week I got a notification that someone had listed one with a starting bid of £75, it was in immaculate condition judging by the photos and even the box looks good which is a bonus! The auction ended at an odd time so I put my highest bid in hoping there’d be no last minute bidders outbidding me. I kept everything crossed for the next few days and we actually won it! Even better than that I got it for £75 as no-one else bid on it which is amazing (or it will be if it looks as good as the photos).
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peak….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.