I’ve been busy this week trying to get as much as possible done for Christmas because I like to be all ready for the 1st December so I’m free to enjoy the month of December without any stress or rushing about. I have to get things done as early as possible because I have so little time free in December between work, school events and other Christmas nights out and fun!
1. I’ve had a trial run of the no-cook fudge that I want to make as a gift for my lovely team at work – they’re all lovely people to work with and are really understanding if I have a poorly child or I need to leave early for something so I wanted to give them something on top of our Secret Santa gift exchange. It’s a good job I had a trial run though as it went very very wrong! Time for a rethink!
2. I’ve been making pom poms for some pop pom style bunting this week because I had some red wool left over from when I made this little beauty….
I made this one as a Christmas decoration but then I ended up keeping it up all year round and I thought it might like some company in the form of some bunting!
3. I bought some leeks from Aldi as they were on offer as part of their Super Six offer and made a big batch of my lovely leek and potato soup for lunch on Sunday. I portioned it up and had some for lunches this week and put the rest in the freezer in batches.
4. I took advantage of my work’s offer of a free flu jab which I swear by! Ever since I was a child, I’ve suffered with chest infections in Winter so when I first had the chance to get this I was first in line! Every year that I’ve had the jab, I’ve had a much easier Winter whereas the Winter I didn’t get it, I ended up off work for three weeks when the flu turned into a chest infection! I class this as thrifty and frugal because hopefully it will mean I won’t be ill over the Winter as much so less time off work or in bed.
5. I got my gas bill in this week and I’m pleased to see that our gas usage is down by about 25% to what it was at this point last year although we haven’t really done anything any different. I know we’ve had a mild November so far but I still think we’ve done well to get our usage down. We don’t have it on very much at all really although this last week has been the most we’ve used it so far. Even then we only have it on so it’s not cold for the kids getting up and then coming in from school. That seems to be enough at the moment and I’ve not felt cold in the house yet this Winter so hopefully we can just continue like this and get it down even further. That’s not my intention though although it would be good – I won’t have any of us cold at home so the heating will go on when we need it to.
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peak….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.